Sea Mount Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey buddy no I got those numbers from...well the same source I got the Sea Tiger numbers and we know how that went...When you say PH permit...I am guessing you mean clareance via radio?

No... actually a permit is now needed even to leave Hickam Harbor. Dick got the actual rules for the harbor after talking to the Base Commander for Pearl... I should have the next newsletter out this week with the harbor rules in it.

fishb0y:
No... actually a permit is now needed even to leave Hickam Harbor. Dick got the actual rules for the harbor after talking to the Base Commander for Pearl... I should have the next newsletter out this week with the harbor rules in it.

WHAT! FILL ME IN WOULD YA......

I wanted to keep it as a surprise but...

For the owners, as best we understand the current rules, you do need a permit from Pearl Harbor to operate a boat from Hickam. To get the permit, you get a Coast Guard courtesy boat inspection and then take the inspection, boat registration and proof of insurance to Pass and ID just inside the Pearl Harbor gate. Once you have the permit, you must keep it with you and must show it if asked by the Harbor Patrol. You should still call in departing the harbor, and should provide the permit number if asked. However, under the current threat conditions, you do not need to get advance authorization to operate from Hickam, and you can come and go 24 hours a day.
Again, this is what Dick was told.

It's always easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

sweet i'll make sure i will get my 16 foot zodiac inspected by the cost guard...and get insurance for it... wtfo lol

fishb0y:
... actually a permit is ..needed even to leave Hickam Harbor..
heh.. i even have a permit for my kayak.. so's i could cross-over to ewa from the o'club/bishop's point. but yeah, they did brief me i not only needed clearance from the harbor-master.. i also had to get on the harbor schedule at least one day prior..
then it was just a matter of contacting clearance delivery either by radio or cell phone just before departure.

Ok..so apparently it's a bad idea to try and get permission to dive the Sea Mount when there is a big conning tower in the channel...they seem to send out their little PH Police RIB and tell you to go away.

I just blamed it all on Jo...and we dove some sort of Sand Bottom (.2 miles from the Pinnacles) in 157' instead.....hey but we saw 1 fish, 1 crater...and did I mention...sand...yeah we saw a lot of sand...

Definately worth the $66 in Helium I breathed on that dive :)

Yup...I am pretty sure that's where we are heading to Wednesday...I am curious if I can convince an on-island gas supplier to deliver a couple of O2 and Helium storage bottles to my garage...

Back
Top Bottom