Sea Lion behavior?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would be interesting to know what depth they go to. I have had one buzz me at the Sunset site at about 150'

I ask tomorrow, I work with most of the sea lion biologists.

Dave

I heard back from one of my biologist friends who's field is Steller's. She says that they have data of juvenile's diving beyond 600 meters and dives exceeding 12 minutes.

I guess they have us beat!

Dave

I heard back from one of my biologist friends who's field is Steller's. She says that they have data of juvenile's diving beyond 600 meters and dives exceeding 12 minutes.

I guess they have us beat!

Dave

Wow! I'd believe it. Read "What a Difference a Dive Makes"

Deep Diving Averts Identity Crisis for TOPP Elephant Seal | TOPP

This brief article from TOPP says they've recorded one to 475m! An elephant seal has been recorded to 846m.

Even sea birds like Murres can dive to 200 meters. I was totally impressed when I saw one at 30 meters, flying (literally) by me.

Dave:
Have you been on the rebreather around them and if so did they react any differently?

A little more curious but very much the same.

Remember a lot of the lions in SE and SC have been captured by divers as pups (ADFG) and taged of branded so they already have bad memories of divers...

Dave

Here's a short video of someone having a similar experience to yours. They seem to be quite comfortable with the behavior you are describing. (not too sure I'd be!)
You pose an interesting concern, I hope to be diving out of Seward this Fall, and I suppose I might encounter a sea lion or two.

YouTube - Diving with Sea Lions

Back
Top Bottom