Sea Hunt episode on YouTube

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got 4 volumes of Sea Hunt from e-Bay. I have successfully brainwashed my kids with Mike Nelson.

I don't have the CD's but I have personalized tags on my truck that say Seahunt. That is what I haul around my Voit 50 Fathom doublehose reg in.
Guess I need to get some.

Hey .... someone should have PM me that they started another thread about "Sea Hunt". It's one of my all time favorite shows .... that and "Hawaii Five-0".

Luis,
The Amazon set IS better in picture quality, though not complete. You can find the same DVDs from the same seller on eBay for quite a bit cheaper. Look for them.

It's funny, before watching Sea Hunt I had all the confidence in the world in my equipment and abilities. After watching all the Sea Hunt episodes last Summer, I often felt apprehensive and doubted myself! I mean, in Sea Hunt, every dive had some disaster or difficulty. I'm back to normal now- whatever that is.

Oh, and divers actually did (do?) prospect for oil with a small hand pick. I suppose a knife could do the trick as well, eh?

james croft:
Guess I need to get some.

I know what you mean, I do too. Oh, you're talking about Sea Hunt episodes... not exactly what I was thinking of!

drbill:
I know what you mean, I do too. Oh, you're talking about Sea Hunt episodes... not exactly what I was thinking of!
I wondered which one of you old perverts would pick up on that. Should have known...

That sequence, of the oil prospectors with a pick, apparently was given to the show by Socony Mobile Oil Co., Inc. The exact same equipment configuration, with triangular masks, single tanks using the original net harness, and Scott Paks is on page 64 and 65 of Rick and Barbara Carrier's book, dive, the complete book of skin diving, first editionWilfred Funk, Inc., New York, 1957.

The other interesting thing to me was to see Mike Nelson in a DESCO ffm, with a line to the surface, in the opening sequence.

SeaRat

That is exactly what I was looking at when I made that reference, but I remember another picture better- undoubtedly from the same photo shoot. The similar photo is in the 1957 World Book Encyclopedia under "Skin Diving", and is credited to Socony-Vacuum Oil Company. The diver is the one using a double hose regulator and triangular mask. That is the picture that is etched in my mind from my childhood encyclopedia safaris.

Back
Top Bottom