Sea Hunt episode on YouTube

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaKris:
I have about 100 episodes, anyone have some they would like to burn and exchange?

How about Primus, Assignement underwater?
I have a bunch of sea hunt digitized. I should put them up on youtube as well. Don't know how yet but I will post a link when I figure it out.

I never knew you could search for oil with a dive knife. Thanks for the link. It's amazing how suspensful the show was as a kid.

jetfixer:
DB,

Just did a weekend at CIMI Toyon Bay. Fantastic!

I'll be looking for Mike Nelson rock in the video clip.

CIMI puts on a great program. They took over our lease when the school closed in 1979. I came to Toyon in 1969 fresh from college to teach marine biology on SCUBA. A great experience.

ScubaKris:
I have about 100 episodes, anyone have some they would like to burn and exchange?

How about Primus, Assignement underwater?

There is a total of 155 episodes. I bought a complete collection on line, but some of the episodes are poor quality copies. Someone else is offering most of the episodes at Amazon.com in several volumes. If the copies are better I may get that collection.

I used to watch Sea Hunt as a kid. I was living in Puerto Rico and all the shows back then were translated into Spanish. As a kid, I thought that it sounded great. I would love to see a translated copy now a days.

Alex777:
Yah, as someone famously said, "Mike Nelson gets a discount for volume on reg hoses."

PS - Mike would probably have called it his "lung hose" or something ...

Actually, Dave Barry said that in a column he wrote a while ago... ahh HERE is a link to it. It also appears in Down Time, a book that is a compilation of writers on diving, including a couple of michael chrichton's (sp?) and many other writings dealing with scuba.

Brnoogle!

thanks for the link! Dave Barry is worth quoting here:

"Before I took lessons, virtually everything I knew about SCUBA -- aside from the fact that it stands for "self-contained underwater breathing apparatus" -- came from the syndicated television series Sea Hunt. This was a very popular half-hour adventure show that ran from 1958 through 1961 and starred Lloyd Bridges as "Mike Nelson, free-lance undersea investigator."

There were 156 episodes of Sea Hunt, but they all merge together in my mind into one basic plot, namely: Mike Nelson is swimming around, conducting a free-lance underwater investigation when suddenly a bad guy swims up behind him and cuts his air hose. Mike always acted surprised about this, which was pretty funny because in fact he got his air hose cut about as often as the average person burps. You'd think it would have eventually dawned on him that for whatever reason -- possibly related to the Gulf Stream -- the waters around his boat were teeming with air-hose cutters, but old Mike never seemed to catch on.

So the climax of Sea Hunt was always an exciting underwater fight (accompanied by dramatic underwater horn music) in which Mike, his bubbles shooting all over the place, would struggle to get some air into his lungs and subdue the bad guy and get back to the surface and head over to the air-hose store, where he probably got a volume discount. Sea Hunt was great entertainment, but it did not leave you with the concepts of "SCUBA" and "safety" firmly cemented together in your mind. "

Ha that article was the first thing I thought of when I saw a sea hunt thread obviously. My favorite part of that article is...Bmoogle. His thoughts on knives are also classic.

"A swim in choppy water at night will not be easy, good thing you'll be using your snorkle"
"I don't have one. I had to abandon ship too fast."
"think you can make it without a Snorkle?"
"Don't worry, I'll get one, there are plenty of skin divers on this part of the coast"

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

eeeeehhhh.

N

Alex777:
So the climax of Sea Hunt was always an exciting underwater fight (accompanied by dramatic underwater horn music) in which Mike, his bubbles shooting all over the place, would struggle to get some air into his lungs and subdue the bad guy and get back to the surface and head over to the air-hose store, where he probably got a volume discount.

"My lungs were aching for air!" -- Mike Nelson

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom