Sea Elite Tek X

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fish_Whisperer

Contributor
Reaction score
In a car underwater with time to kill....
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone else use these regulators, or am I the only one? LOL

I constantly get people asking me what reg I'm using, and when I tell them, they reply, "I've never heard of that one."

The description here: http://tinyurl.com/k6jcr seems a little overblown, but I've been very happy with this reg and found that it breathes just as nicely at 130' as it does at 30'.

I'm just wondering why it's not more popular or more widely used, or why no one seems to have heard of them.

I haven't used one but every time I go by Divers Supply I always look at it and wonder how well it performs. I currently use a ScubaPro MK20 with a G250 second and for really cold water use a ScubaPro MK2 1st stage. (I've never had any freeflow with either down to low 40's in freshwater).

I always look at it because I've been thinking of getting a balanced diaphram that is enviormentally sealed for cold water diving and the price is right! But I cannot justify to myself on why I should ditch my MK20 and MK2 for it.

I would love to try one and would love to hear from others that use it. I've heard they are very close to the DiveRite regs.

Jeremy

Fish_Whisperer:
I'm just wondering why it's not more popular or more widely used, or why no one seems to have heard of them.

It's a good deal, but if you shop around you can find Dive-Rite RG2500's for almost the same price. I was told the RG2500 has the same second stage as the Tek X, and a similar first stage, but with a different diaphragm which supplies a stable IP at high supply pressures whereas the Tek X doesn't. That's why I went the Dive-Rites myself. People probably haven't heard of the Tek X's because they aren't that widely available as far as I can tell; I've only seen them up at Divers Supply.

i used the SeaElite Tech for a long while, was a fine regulator

a bit hard to breathe at depth, and it made some whooshing noises, but
you get used to those

i understand that it and the DiveRite RG series are almost the same thing (both
Apeks clones)

Fish_Whisperer:
Thanks, Floater.

What do you mean by stable IP at high supply pressures?

I don't know the practical consequences of the difference in diaphragms for these two regs, but I'm under the impression that a stable intermediate pressure is preferable.

You need register with TDS to read these threads, but they may give further answers. This one discusses intermediate pressures, and here's a link to a thread about RG2500's. In post #29 a " Dive Rite bullpen manager" (?) answered my question about the Tek X and DR2500 comparison - I'm taking him at his word.

edit: Forgot second link first time. Edited to add it.

Hrmmm.. Interesting. Thank you for the link.

Andy, how deep were you, when you found it harder to breathe? I've been as deep as 130' and noticed no difference. I agree that the exhaust IS a little noisy. I wonder if anyone makes an exhaust that has... I don't know... baffles or something?

I have one on my deco bottle, works fine for what I use it for. As for the RG2500 being the same price, I'm not so sure about that. I got a brand new tech X from divers supply for $169. I can't say I have seen the RG2500 that cheap, but I know they were selling those for less than $300 at the shop.

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom