Sea Cure Mouth Piece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

splicer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Does anyone have any experience with the Sea Cure custom fit mouth piece? I have the habit of biting hard while diving and end up with a sore jaw.

Will be some of the best spent money you'll ever spend for an accessory.

the K

I have two, wouldn't want to dive without it. For me, it significantly reduced the jaw fatigue I was experiencing.

I buy them for every reg i own, they are excellent
they stop the jaw soreness
u will be very happy

I tried one and hated it. The connection between teeth and mouth is in my opinion much too solid. On very long dives, I find that in and of itself to be uncomfortable.

Unless you truly have an issue where you bite down way too hard on the mouthpiece, I don;t see the need for one - and even then, it makes more sense to focus on the problem - tension, rather than go with a moulded moutpiece.

In most cases, I think it is a lot more useful to focus on proper hose lenght and reduce jaw tatigue by reducing the hose imposed strain on the reg and jaws. That along with a reasonably well designed mouthiece will do a lot to prevent jaw fatigue.

From a reg tech standpoint, a sea cure mouthpiece makes many of the standard reg checks difficult to do with the mouthpiece in place, and they are very difficult to remove and reinstall. The potential result is if you have a busy tech and a sea cure mouthpiece, the reg may not get the same level of bench testing as one with a conventional mouthpiece. To ensure that does not happen you may want to remove your sea cure mouthpiece yourself befroe you send the reg in for service.

My wife swears by it and I'll be ordering one before my next dive.

depending on the shape and size difference between your mouth and your buddy's mouth, these mouth pieces make air donation difficult. the long sized might make it difficult for a smaller diver to use without gagging.

A friend has this on how OW regs and he loves it, but I would think hard before putting it on any backup, or primary if you are taught to donate that to an OOG diver.

couple of tips tip when "making" yours ... do not bite down too far, you do not want your mouth almost closed or you'll be sucking air past your teeth (I know :wink: ) while they can be remolded I got another one cause it did not want to come back far enough to hold teeth farther apart.
I cut about 3/8" or so from the ends so it does not stick so far back into my mouth

I have never had someone have issues with mine while doing air share drill, it will fit well enough to not leak .. and I've never seen a post from someone that actually had an issue with it .. but??

One issue is that without having the flexible "wings" that are on a regular mouthpiece, you can not hold it against a unconscious regless diver as you bring him up.

I like it cause I do not have to hold my reg in, it just sits there .. Cost a bit but for me it, was worth it

My wife and I did not like them

Back
Top Bottom