SE FL boat dives 8/6 AM (pre-dive party weekend)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks

Snr LayZboy Meteorologist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Here is what was posted/suggested from the 8/7 keys w/ SoCal divers thread:
simbrooks:
We have a few options out of WPB or Boynton, both about 30-40 mins from Ft Lauderdale area. Rampage, Parrot Island, Loggerhead and Splashdown to name but a few - the latter two i have dove with, the former two i have heard good things about. I havent checked if any of those have posted schedules that far ahead, but i am sure we could get spaces for whatever dives they are doing that morning. One of the guys here works at Splashdown, however he wouldnt be able to dive with us if he was DM'ing the show. They are all good guys from what i have heard or seen. Guests choice on this one, good with anything, i just like getting wet - and i pretty much have bought 4 boat dives saturday, got the other 2 on friday half off, cant beat that. :wink:

Do we want to dive anything in particular? Reefs i think we will see a few of, there are some interesting wrecks and it seems the options with those trips is a wreck to start with and a reef on the way back in, or we could try for the Tennaco Towers (probably reef on the way back in) - cant recall the best place to boat to those from though. It also depends on other people being willing to come, but it would definately be good to start the weekend off right :wink:

But remember, we would have to check whether these boats will be caught up in the whole lobster mini-season or actually going diving.

Scuba_Jenny:
Tennaco Towers is too far south for boats in Boynton, Deerfield or WPB. I would suggest Diversity with Captain Tony outa Deerfield and do the Sea Emporer and a reef. 561-368-9952. Sea Emperor is where the Aqua Zoo is. Friendly stingrays and a few golilath groupers along with a big ole moray eel.
I just phoned Capt Tony and he said that the Towers are out of his range, but the Sea Emperor was in about 60-70', then a reef dive on the way back in particularly due to bug hunters - so its an option and not as deep at the Towers, nor as far to motor out to. Its an option for us.

Anyone got any ideas for other potential trips. I heard the Princess Anne was another good wreck that most WPB etc boats can get to.

Any other takers beyond myself, Mo2vation and Jaye for these friday morning dives before the big weekend starts up? If we can get enough maybe we can get a discount on this trip too?

Two potentials for the Towers are prodive and H2O Scuba. I have yet to actually discuss this with them, but the boats are about $45-50 for the trip or $72-79 w/nitrox inc, but dont leave til 12-1pm, which is not really AM :wink:

Otherwise we can just take up another dive op a little further up the coast and be on the boat at 8-9am leaving the afternoon/evening free for shallow stuff and bigger off gassing before the next long day.

Don't miss the Mitzpah. It is an awesome dive. 4 wrecks in a row!

http://www.coralislandcharters.com/divesitesdescr/divesites.html#Mizpah/PC1170

70-90 feet. It is a drift and it is really awesome. Make sure the boat you are taking does NOT have students. If they have students then you go to a shallow reef that is not the greatest.

Gee there was a time when I just wanted to dive now I am getting "picky"!

Anyway it will be good no matter where you go!

simbrooks:
Here is what was posted/suggested from the 8/7 keys w/ SoCal divers thread:

I just phoned Capt Tony and he said that the Towers are out of his range, but the Sea Emperor was in about 60-70', then a reef dive on the way back in particularly due to bug hunters - so its an option and not as deep at the Towers, nor as far to motor out to. Its an option for us.

Anyone got any ideas for other potential trips. I heard the Princess Anne was another good wreck that most WPB etc boats can get to.

Any other takers beyond myself, Mo2vation and Jaye for these friday morning dives before the big weekend starts up? If we can get enough maybe we can get a discount on this trip too?

I’m a little confused on the date of this event, perhaps because I didn’t read the original thread. I’d love to dive either of those wrecks again. The Sea Empress was a really easy wreck dive, I did it last August on Lady-Go-Diver, max depth (I saw) was 70feet bottom temp of 84f. Very large and overly friendly sting ray, mild current but not a lot of areas to safely penetrate. I’ve been on the Princess Ann a bunch of times and would say it was one of my favorites. I go out with Rampage on this one, Mike Law plays DM and this man knows every little nook of that wreck, he’ll show you exactly where to tuck and hide from the current without ever missing out on the wild life. This wreck is a little more challenging only because of the current and the negative entry. (There are so many safe penetration areas that the current shouldn’t that big of an issue.) Max depth (I saw) was 94 feet with an average temp of 80, I’ve run into a few thermal clines on more than just one occasion and usually keep my 3mm and hood/gloves on.

Let me know the dates, I’m thinking Darrel (Murphdivers286) should take a sick day for it so we can both go...
:wink:

The whole weekend started out with Ken (Mo2vation) and his wife Jaye coming down and asking about diving in the area, the "big" trip is on 8/7 (saturday) and is already planned, but awaiting more divers (hopefully). This was an off-shoot idea that we would get in some dives on 8/6 (friday, there are also plans for beach dives on 8/8 too) and thought it would be best in a seperate thread.

We would be looking at AM dives, then doing shallow stuff that afternoon and night with the rest of the SB'ers who arent able to get off work that day or dont have the cash for 3 sets of boat dives in a weekend. Also there is the N2 loading thing over a busy weekend like that, with at least 3 dives around 90-120 ft or so and 3 others in the 40-60ft range as well, along with several shallow shore dives, so its nice to spread them out as much as possible over a couple of days.

I too am taking a sick day for this trip, heh why not :wink:

I havent been on either of those recommended wrecks yet, but would like to some day. If you stay in the loop on this thread i am sure a decision will be made and we can all go ahead and book up spots, potentially 5 at the moment, hopefully more.

Perfect!!!

So any takers??? Ken, where are you? Vicky, are you free for some boating?

I am starting another thread to deal with the afternoon and evening shore dives on that same friday, post-friday boat dives, pre-saturday boat dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom