Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I will not join it in the near future

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • I don't know

Votes: 10 20.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Missdirected:
I'm inclined to think they wouldn't have a problem with. People bash them here every so often and they always reply professionally. I sure they can live with some ribbing.

I have openly bashed gear they sell, and have suggested other places to buy gear on their forum, and they have always been gentlemen about the whole thing. They have continued the trend of giving no nonsense advice, even in their forum. ST Forum is a nice place to hang.

tedtim:
Online competition for SB forum members time? What is the world coming to? It is blasphemy, blasphemy I tell you!:D

Missdirected:
Well if you are an advertiser on SB you certainly aren't going to be doing the jig when the board is down. Having your own forum - goes a long way in advertising. Even if people only use it as a back-up - it keeps the ST name in their head. That my lil opinion. :D

I think there is more than that...

I don't think it is a right post to mentiond about their way of business. There is NO doubt on their excellent service. So, don't beat around bush, get to the point.

Larry & Joe, what is a real motivation to have your own forum?

SB isn't enough? You guys has been a role model in Scuba industry.

You want to build your Texan empire like MS at Seattle? :mooner:

Hoosier:
Larry & Joe, what is a real motivation to have your own forum?

It's really pretty simple. I like scuba board... always have. Been here a long time, even flew net doc in to my shop for a big party - took ads when he really didn't have much in the way of advertising revenue coming in... and have paid for ads for months to come!

We had some of our customers specifically ask for us to start our own board. I know someone earlier said our board has a lot of newbs... and that is true. Although there are some very experienced divers out there as well. Some of our customers said at times they felt intimidated on other boards, they would ask a serious question about a product, and feel like they got blasted for even the though of a split fin or a bio filter, or an air integrated octo.

So they asked if I could start out a place for them, where they could ask "dumb" questions without feeling dumb, and have some calendars for our classes, trips, local dives, and I said sure... I'll work on it! And it's gone through a few changes and variations, again because of what our customers asked for.

So that's the motivation... keep our customers happy.

scubatoys:
Some of our customers said at times they felt intimidated on other boards, they would ask a serious question about a product, and feel like they got blasted for even the though of a split fin or a bio filter, or an air integrated octo.

Now that I find very true. That still gets under my skin actually. If you don't want to answer newb quetions - then don't - but do not blast them. I remember being one of those newbs. Here in this area I spend a lot of time working with new divers - trying to get them to meet others and get out and dive. It means a lot to me because I do remember being there. :wink:

Missdirected:
Now that I find very true. That still gets under my skin actually. If you don't want to answer newb quetions - then don't - but do not blast them. I remember being one of those newbs. Here in this area I spend a lot of time working with new divers - trying to get them to meet others and get out and dive. It means a lot to me because I do remember being there. :wink:

I think that hits the nail right on the head so-to-speak.
Noone wants to post and be told if you don't do it the XYZ way, your going to die :)
or you're a total noob , or have 15 peeps jump on you about what gear you have etc.

I enjoy the fact that no matter how noob'ish the question is, nobody get's beaten up or intimidated on the ST forums.

ntburchf:
I think that hits the nail right on the head so-to-speak.
Noone wants to post and be told if you don't do it the XYZ way, your going to die :)
or you're a total noob , or have 15 peeps jump on you about what gear you have etc.

I enjoy the fact that no matter how noob'ish the question is, nobody get's beaten up or intimidated on the ST forums.

Screeching at someone does nothing to facilitate learning, trust, or anything else that is conducive to learning this sport, in my little opinion. Intimidation is the worst :sad:

hear! hear! Miss ... both posts well said :)

How many lurkers never join SB because of it?
... or never post questions after they do join ?

I have no doubt that any advice given by Larry or Joe would always be thoughtful and usefull .. as they have demonstrated many times on this board

Wow...$50 bucks per 250 posts?????

Can I transfer my postcount from here? :D

Kim:
Wow...$50 bucks per 250 posts?????

Can I transfer my postcount from here? :D

Sure, I'll get a check right out to you for $2000... :wink: Or not!

And it's not per 250... it's for the first 250.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom