Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I will not join it in the near future

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • I don't know

Votes: 10 20.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead:
Probably right, Tracy. I'm curious about how the ST forum would react to someone criticiszing gear they sell. What if I think Aeris regs suck (and I do) and said as much on a forum whose owners sell same?

I'm inclined to think they wouldn't have a problem with. People bash them here every so often and they always reply professionally. I'm sure they can live with some ribbing.

I think scubatoys as an operation is great and wouldn't dream of bashing them.

BUT, for every piece of gear, their are good and bad qualities. Some divers love Zeagle Rangers and some hate them. You would get both sides here from objective divers.

And you get both sides there. There are people who openly admit they use gear that ST doesn't sell, and the ST staff doesn't have a problem with us offering opinions. They'll often weigh in with their own, but it's an open discussion.

They cant' be too concerned about things since they even have a spot for members to sell their own gear which would directly conflict with their new gear sales. They run a good operation and that will take them further and allow them to get away with the open format criticism's of different gear and policies.

All in all, it's not a bad forum at all. I signed up when this one kept crashing. And then they sweetened the deal with the offer of gift certificates just for posting.

Shane

ScubaToys is clearly a strong brand when it comes to dive shops, even more so with the forum crowd. But beyond that, they also have a lot of loyal customers to having a community to foster that makes a ton of sense. I would imagine the primary goal is to keep people engaging with their business with all the general dive talk serving as a secondary benefit.

The ScubaToys staff has been on SB for years and other forums as well I'm sure, so they know how to handle selling vs giving information and allowing discourse and in my opinion, they do a great job of walking that line here. It's a forum for a business, so of course it's going to have a business driver, but that's nothing new, almost every forum is a business as well and many do a great job of keeping that seperate from the conversation.

Of course, only time will tell how well they are able to tolerate blatant bashing of the products they carry but I'm sure they'll allow a fair amount of back and forth so long as it's done intelligently.

Makes a lot of sense to me for them to have a forum and yes, I am a member, although I just started posting.

Hoosier:
Just our of curiosity,
What is the purpuse of ScubaToys' forum. I think they are successful enough on SB...

Is there any particualar interest by having their own forum? It seems to be a lot of headache though...
Online competition for SB forum members time? What is the world coming to? It is blasphemy, blasphemy I tell you!:D

It's a great place for all those "scubatoys rocks" threads.

DennisS:
It's a great place for all those "scubatoys rocks" threads.

:rofl3: My BF wants to burn all the those threads right now. He swears the posters must be on crack as he has been having a heck of a time with them.

Missdirected:
:rofl3: My BF wants to burn all the those threads right now. He swears the posters must be on crack as he has been having a heck of a time with them.

Hmmm.. If you, or him want to PM me directly, I'll try to figure out why we are having any problems and how to solve them.

It hasn't replaced Scuba Board for me, but I have joined. I only stop in every once in awhile.

TheRedHead:
Probably right, Tracy. I'm curious about how the ST forum would react to someone criticiszing gear they sell. What if I think Aeris regs suck (and I do) and said as much on a forum whose owners sell same?

I'd bet you that Larry would ask you why they suck and you would both be better informed as a result of the discussion. He really seem to be totally open and forthright. I havn't seen any sacred cows yet.

I think it is just a matter of time before Scubatoys has to ask itself if it is getting its money's worth from the paid advertising on Scubaboard. They seem to get plenty of favorable endorsements from divers for free.

Back
Top Bottom