ScubaPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just a curiosity, but how far lapsed can the warranty be and still have the parts become free again after the charged-for parts?

I just had my Mk 5/ADJ serviced after missing a few years. I paid for parts, but it was quite reasonable (about $35 for first and second stages total.)

My only regret is that the authorized SP dealer had to send the regulator out for service: they dont service in-house any more. Took me two weeks to get it back! I miss my old shop where I got certified: Jim did the work himself, sometimes while I waited. But hey, I can't complain: the regulator is nearly 34 years old, and she's never, ever failed me.

Here is a little story for you. I was working on a MK15 that has been in warranty for 15 years
And then when I was putting the yoke nut back on and then crack. OOOO sh-t. Then I looked and I cracked the main body. So I boxed it up sent in the paper work and then a new MK 25 come in for the customer. You just can't beat ScubaPro.

The OP is not a troll, and the situation is very real.

I have encountered it myself and am currently on hold trying to deal with it.

ScubaPro just changed its policy, and it is hitting a lot of people hard. Our shop is going crazy over it.

When you go for your annual service, you now have to submit the registration number to a database to confirm that you are the original owner. The problem is that the database is screwed, and there are a lot of errors. For example, it says the registration does not match my name, and I am for sure the original owner.

They will allow you to continue if you can submit proof of purchase to them.

I purchased mine more than 5 years ago, and all proof of purchase is gone. My case is complicated by the fact that mine was a special purchase (key man pricing) made through the shop, but I actually paid SP (Johnson Outdoor) directly. I think. No one can remember exactly how it was done. We have tossed all old credit card records and are going through the credit card companies to see if we can find something. Right now it looks as if I am out of luck on the warranty as well.

The shop knows darn well that I made the purchase, but it cannot find it in the records because of the special nature of the purchase, and vouching for me to SP does no good. Even regular shop employees are in the same boat, and there is a lot of frustration. We have some very angry regular customers.

Years back, dealers would tell you that the warranty can't be reinstated. I know because I normally don't service every year and had a number of regs lapse and they absolutely would not let me back in. At some point, that changed over time and I now have all 6, of my SP regs reinstated/covered. However, none of that prevented me from buying more SP regs. I don't buy regs based on the warranty or the prospect of free parts.

If you service your regs every second year and buy the parts or service every year and get free parts, the cost over ownership is the same, since parts is usually half the total cost. The downside is if you only service every other year and you have half a dozen regs, be prepard for a big bill.

ScubaPro just changed its policy, and it is hitting a lot of people hard. Our shop is going crazy over it.......(snip).

boulderjohn,
Thanks for providing some real circumstances that might be affecting the OP. While I have seen the changes in the SP system I have not (yet) seen this kind of issue. I do appreciate you posting it and will keep it in mind regarding future warranty work.

Hank

FWIW, I just had 2 SP regs serviced that were way past their service due dates. LDS handled it with no problems nor anything differentthan in the past. And I do mean JUST, as I picked them up less than 3 weeks ago.

ScubaPro just changed its policy, and it is hitting a lot of people hard. Our shop is going crazy over it.

When you go for your annual service, you now have to submit the registration number to a database to confirm that you are the original owner. The problem is that the database is screwed, and there are a lot of errors. For example, it says the registration does not match my name, and I am for sure the original owner.

They will allow you to continue if you can submit proof of purchase to them.

I purchased mine more than 5 years ago, and all proof of purchase is gone. My case is complicated by the fact that mine was a special purchase (key man pricing) made through the shop, but I actually paid SP (Johnson Outdoor) directly. I think. No one can remember exactly how it was done. We have tossed all old credit card records and are going through the credit card companies to see if we can find something. Right now it looks as if I am out of luck on the warranty as well.

The shop knows darn well that I made the purchase, but it cannot find it in the records because of the special nature of the purchase, and vouching for me to SP does no good. Even regular shop employees are in the same boat, and there is a lot of frustration. We have some very angry regular customers.

Out of curiosity, what is the average retail price for a MK25/whatever service kit?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom