Scubapro X650, to buy or not to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will get those maintenance and if they have a problem attempt to repair myself if needed. But I will try them as the past user was a tech instructor and didnt seem to have any problems.

But I will test them out and post back in the future. Seems people split in opinions about these.

Just remember I am in South Africa, tech stuff is not plentiful at all. I would pay around 500$ just for a wing, 980$ for a MK25/a700 and about 380$ for a 300bar AL80(working out with exchange rate).

Just remember I am in South Africa, tech stuff is not plentiful at all. I would pay around 500$ just for a wing, 980$ for a MK25/a700 and about 380$ for a 300bar AL80(working out with exchange rate).

Just wondering what you mean by a "300bar AL80"? Do you mean a regular AL80 (77cft, 3000 PSI) with a 300 bar DIN valve? Something like that, used, in the U.S. would be maybe $100. It's hard to imagine almost 4 times that, but of course I don't know what your economy is like there.

Still, there's international shipping all the time. You might have a look at caveadventurers.com and see what kind of specials they're running on BP/Ws and regulators. The tanks you'll have to buy locally of course, but surely AL80s can be found for less than $380, and you could get the bands and manifold shipped easily. 300 bar manifolds are usually easier to find and less expensive than the 200 bar convertible valves.

I dont know why I put 300bar there ignore that haha.

The MK25 I definitely want, its the second stages I am more weary about but I will give them a go anyway.

Putting Rand dollar into account, delivery charges, the stuff I am getting seems to be a better price than what I can ship into the country taking that its second hand into account. The tax on an order like this will be like $200 alone.

You are correct that the prices will work similar especially having a look at caveadventures.com, there are great deals there. But all in all getting it all together and bringing it to my doorstep I work out about 300$ cheaper not importing it all.

Just to update on this.

I decided to buy the stuff and went for a few quarry dives with the double and single cylinder configuration. One of the dives being to 30m.

I am in love with this regulator, normally that deep I would need to control my breathing and make sure I dont overwork too much but this time it just forces the air in no matter what I was doing.

I do see what others said about the freeflow. If the x650 is set to dive mode with the adjustment all the way up then it freeflows like crazy when I giant stride in so I just need to keep an eye on that being adjusted before hand.

Also when doing a shutdown drill, switching to backup causes the primary to freeflow but also as long as the adjustment knob isnt all the way up then there is no problem. I know leave it around halfway and all is fine, at 30m I just turned it all the way up.

Frog kicking every few seconds with doubles and Jetfins is the most relaxing thing ever. It feels like I cant mess up my buoyancy if I wanted to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom