ScubaPro "Wide Eyes" mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldschool

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Many years ago (early 70's), I bought a ScubaPro "Wide Eyes" mask. It was a double lens mask. The lenses were teardropped shaped (small at the top and large at the bottom). The mask was extremely low volume. "Wide Eyes" was imprinted in raised letters on the top portion of the skirt. The frame was stainless. I lent the mask to someone years after I had it and it dissappeared. Has anyone else owned this mask? I would sure like to find one in good shape. It was without a doubt my favorite mask. I've had no luck finding one or any info about one on the internet.

I've not seen a "Wide Eyes". However, the Scubapro "Close Up" was as you described and a very effective mask for freediving. I've done some field of vision tests of the Close Up against the current gold standard, the Frameless. The Close Up has a wider view. This mask had twin teardrop lenses and a plastic frame to secure the glass. Later versions of the mask included frames which were offered in colors other than black. Back in the 1970's SP produced a succession of products such as the Maxi Vision and Close Up which were attempts to reduce internal volume and afford wider scope of vision. The masks were very innovative and high quality. However, the rubber compounds did not hold up over time and had a tendency to soften or even melt. Also, the Close Up shared a problem with later imitators like the Cressi "Big Eyes". The skirt did not always provide a perfect seal. With the Cressi this is a design problem. The Close Up would leak slightly after a year of use due to the aforementioned problem with the rubber compound.

You are absolutely right . It was the"Close Up". Later they produced it in clear silicone as well. Wish I could find one.

I miss my Close Up as well. I tried a lot of different masks and found none that truly replaces the old Scubapro. In 2005, I bought a Big Eyes and after one week gave it away on Scubaboard to "first come, first served". Good riddance to that thing and I even paid the postage. Sometimes, I really don't understand the thinking in the dive industry. I guess the Close Up mask did not sell well or something. I imagine that the old style construction would be expensive in today's market, what with the stainless buckles, stainless clamp and strong plastic lens frame. In some ways the Frameless is an improvement, the light weight primarily, but a modern version of the Close Up, one which included all the high quality original parts and a black silicone skirt, would be a breakthrough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom