Scubapro Vs. Oceanic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just upgraded to a shearwater teric, and I love it…. No offense to anyone, but I've never been a fan of scuba pro equipment period...

Shearwater has a Perdix that has an air-integrated option, and the Teric has an air-integrated option, too. Some of us like our computers to log our start and end tank pressures, and upload our dive logs to our home computer logging software. I don't dive a Shearwater, but if I were in the market for a dive computer now, I'd take a long, hard look at those two options.

Richard.

Scubapro A1 is retailed at $509.00 at LeisurePro!!! No way Jose!

There are couple of sub $300.00 beside Oceanic eg. Seac and Tusa using Buhlmann ZHL-16C to consider.

Just stay away from RGBM algorithm.

I am currently using and have been using various Oceanic computers for at least 15 years now and they have been good. I am looking to upgrade in the next few months and have decided on the Shearwater because as I get older I find it harder to read the screen on the Oceanic, especially in shallow water with bright sunlight. Also the Shearwater displays are easily customizable and the AI ones work with Oceanic transmitters if you already have them.

Thank you all for your comments. I will look at the Shearwater. I’m not familiar with it at all. Thank you.
Definitely a good choice.

Back to the first two brands you mentioned, I would say Oceanic over ScubaPro. The Oceanics give you a choice of either DSAT or PZ+ algorithms. DSAT is definitely more liberal, but PZ+ may be useful if diving with buddies using Aqualung computers, as most are running PZ+.

The Shearwaters are definitely worth a look. You just need to ask yourself a couple of questions. Do you want AI or an electronic compass? If no, the Peregrine would be a good choice. If yes, Perdix AI or Teric would be what you would want to look at, though be warned, they are significantly more expensive. Not out of line with other wireless AI computers, but certainly not cheap.

I went from a couple Oceanics to a Perdix AI and have absolutely zero regrets.

Thank you all for your feedback. I always get a lot of info from all the folks on this forum. I’m definitely going to look at Shearwater. Thanks to all!

I dive an Oceanic Geo 4. I’m perfectly happy with it. Had it for 40 something dives and I haven’t gotten bent, so it seems to be doing its job.

Oceanic does a fine job of advertising the pros, so here are the cons I have found:
  • The interface is not the most user friendly thing you will come across. It easy enough to get used to it, but it does require a good look at the manual (the interface through the app is much easier but I don’t really use it)
  • The screen reflects light, so in high viz waters the sun may make it hard to see at some angles. During the night or in a cavern, you can’t see it with the flashlight for the same reason - so you need to use your other hand to turn the back light on.
  • The sound alarms, if you use them, are very soft and you may not hear them through a hood or noisy environment.
  • Not too crazy about the diver log+ logbook, it has an awful search function for past dives.
Still, I’m happy with it and don’t plan to upgrade any time soon. The fact that you can’t see the screen with a flashlight in low light environments is (for me) the most annoying thing about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom