Scubapro Valve diagram

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akdeepdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a old Scubapro valve that I use in a Valve Technician class. It is a J-Valve with a built in pressure gauge, and what looks like a screw/valve for adjusting pressure on top. Does anyone know where I can find the exploded parts diagram for this valve?

The screw is an assembly plug. I'll have to do some digging to find an exploded parts diagram.

I have that valve on a steel 72, I bought it in 1978. But I don't have a diagram for it.

That top plug is simply to hold it together. If it's loose it will leak air, but it does not adjust pressure.

the black tank on the right:

tanks001Small.jpg

I believe I have a schematic (tank valve, DCAR w/gauge 14-152-000) dated 12/97. I'll have to scan it in tomorrow. PM me with an email address I can send it to.

If I'm not mistaken, some of those SP J valves did indeed have an adjustment on them so one could actually set the pressure that the J valve would start restricting the gas flow.

Some had an indicator pin built into the valve to show the approximate quantity in the tank.

Awap, I'll take a copy of that valve schematic, please....just to have.
How was Bonaire?

c

Last edited:
The valve name is DCAR: Depth Compensated Adjustable Reserve valve.

On the back it had a rod style pressure indicator.

On the top of the valve you can see two concentric rings with a very small orifice on the center. The orifice is for the water pressure to push on the top of the reserve plunger to add more force to the spring pushing the plunger (for the Depth Compensated reserve).

Of the two rings the outer one is just the threaded access plug to the mechanism. The Inner ring can be push down with a small flat blade screw driver and then turn 90 degrees. It will stay down when you turn it. In this position the reserve will be 600 psi (versus the normal 300 psi).

The valve came standard with the lever facing forward to reduce the chance of accidental activation, but it was design so it could be easily switch to the more conventional rear facing reserve if desired. I did occasionally had to switch the lever since it did interfere with a double hose regulator.

There was a lot of thought that went into the design of these valves, just like many of the Scubapro innovations in the 70’s.

One of the great things about these valves is that when the air is shot off you can work on any part of the reserve. Back in the 70's, I used to trick these valves so they would hold just a little bit of air even if you drop the reserve and open the valve. We could then take the small airplanes going to the Virgin Islands from Puerto Rico without totally emptying the tank. When we arrive at I would change the parts in the reserve and go get the tanks filled without needing a VIP since the tank had just a little bit of air.

I only have one of those valves left, but it is not even mounted on a tank anymore.

I will try to scan and post a diagram when I get a chance.

Last edited:
The valve name is DCAR: Depth Compensated Adjustable Reserve valve........

Thank you Luis,

A friend recently sent me this diagram:

DCAR.JPG

Sorry that I haven’t had a chance to scan the diagram. I am glad you got it.

Item 7 is the reserve plunger. The top of it works as a piston were water ambient pressures pushes on it. Item 6 is the piston O-ring.

Item 4 is the reserve adjustment part. This item can be pushed in and turn 90 degrees to change the spring tension (Item 5). As I mentioned above, the reserve is supposed to go from 300 to 600 psi. The V shape at the bottom of Item 1 forms the ramp to hold the two adjustment positions of Item 4.

I would like to see if I can get a copy of the catalog page where this valve was advertised (I think Bryan at VDH may have some PDF copies of Scubapro catalogs). I will post it if I can get it. If I recall correctly, even the catalog advertisement of this valve was elaborate.

….Yes, the ScubaPro catalogue was very impressive in the seventies. It had all sorts of cut away views of equipment, information about the Jet Fin, like how much the ratio of sulfur to latex and the specific gravity of the finished rubber material. The catalogue even had mock debates about spearfishing. A ScubaPro dive shop might also have a few cool display items like a real set of cut away valves so the customer could compare and contrast with their competitor's wares.

c

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom