Scubapro-Uwatec and price gouging on battery replacements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not having warranty coverage is one thing. Not getting free batteries is another. BUT, being charged $200 for a 15 minute service and a $3.00 part is THEFT in my book. I also agree with Bill's comment on quality.

One of our LDS' dropped SP (no wonder why) I guess those unlucky consummers who purchased SP products from that store paid the "big" bucks will have difficulty getting warranty service. By the way, "free replacement batteries" for life - ha, how long does one have to live to get a ROI for the original "mega" mark-up price? The value of Warranty service is a very mis-represented quantity.

Now, where can I buy old Scuba Pro stock??

thanks

rhadamanthus:
I guess I'm not following you. If you purchase a Uwatec (the ones listed at the bottom of the page) the batteries are free for life, and they test them when they are doing the battery replacement. If you purchase those same units from someone who is not an authorized dealer, you get no warranty, no battery replacement for free. Fair enough. The real point is, know who you are buying from, know the policy and make an informed decision. :)

Rhad

Scubapro bought Uwatec, the makers of Aladdin computers. The purchasers of Aladdin computers before the takeover by SP are now being gouged for exhorbitant battery replacement charges. The battery for life, according to what I was told by the SP rep, are only available for the new SP computers. Those with Aladdin computers before the takeover are stuck paying the price gouge when their computer runs out every three years.

diverkim:
Scubapro bought Uwatec, the makers of Aladdin computers. The purchasers of Aladdin computers before the takeover by SP are now being gouged for exhorbitant battery replacement charges. The battery for life, according to what I was told by the SP rep, are only available for the new SP computers. Those with Aladdin computers before the takeover are stuck paying the price gouge when their computer runs out every three years.

Well, that does in fact SUCK!

Rhad

It can be a really bad for your pocket when you are going to change the battery for an Aladin....but:
1) after how many years/ dives (after 7 year $200 = $28.50, after 5 years = $40.00)
2) There is a check on your computer when the UWATEC change the battery???
How many batteries are you going to change with a M1 (Mares) in a year or 7 Years and how many dives with a set of batteries.

I think I've done over 900 dives in the last 3 1/2 years with my Aladdin Pro and the battery last I checked had just dipped under 50%. Should be plenty of life left in it.

I bought mine before SP took over Uwatek. Damn. Add to that I have the Memo Mouse so would like to stick with a new computer that would download via that.

Dr. Bill

Charging those prices for batt replacement, is exactly why I didn't buy them. Don't support the idiots, simple............

Shakazulu hit it right on the head.
User changeable batteries was one of the highest priority of features for me when I bought my Oceanic (aka US Divers Scan4) computer 10 years ago. This also allows me to carry extra batteries on a long trip, like a live-aboard where a computer battery failure can be catastrophic.

Uwatec had factory exclusive replaceable batteries far after that period 10 years ago, but people were enamored by Uwatec so they put up with it. SCUBAPRO makes excellent products, seems they just got caught up in the legacy designs of Uwatec.

Personally, I couldn't see why manufacturers would put the consumer at such a dependency, except for one rea$$$on.

I also won't buy an item from an offshore discounter or grey marketeer to save money. Past history with electronics, upgrades and repairs has cost me more when the item has failed than I originally saved.

ShakaZulu:
Charging those prices for batt replacement, is exactly why I didn't buy them. Don't support the idiots, simple............

Simple when you know up front but when the prices are changed a few years after the purchase then one is out-of-luck.

I have a smart pro and love it..I bought it from an auth. dealer so I'm in luck. For user replaceable batteries, get a VR2 or VR3...they use a single AA Which you can get all over the world :wink:

My dive instructor has a SmartCom that she is willing to sell me at a great price. As you can tell from my login name, I am new to diving. I am slowly accumulating equipment. This computer possibly being a peice of said equipment. This computer has never been wet because of the recall. She sent it back to uwatec and had purchased a different unit in the interum therefore has never dove with it. I am sure she baught it through an authorized dealer and I a pretty sure that she sent in the waranty info since she was able to swap it out for the recall. I am just currious if she can "officially" transfer the warranty into my name or will I have to have her send the unit back when and if the time comes?

By the way this is my first post so I would like to say hello to everyone. I will formaly inroduce myself in the newbie forum soon.

Thanks,
Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom