Scubapro-Uwatec and price gouging on battery replacements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We do service the Uwatec Nitrox Pro as well as any other Uwatec dive computer with exception of the Nitrox Air (is totally glued and can not be put together in a reliable way) and Uwatec's last generation, the Smart series with an infrared interface (Pro, Com, Tec, etc). We charge $70, plus return shipping and the service includes waterproofing the unit. Check our website: www.divewatchdoctor.com.
It's true that the procedure can be performed by a person with some technical vocation and very good soldering skills to unsolder the old 3.6V battery and solder back the new, without toasting the electronic components (particularly those close to the "+" terminal. However, the next step, removing the air bubbles while refilling the oil is quite tricky. Finally, you have to restart the computer an get it to read battery 99%. This is the last step and you have to wait until it displays the "Err" reading, which "normally" happens right after installing the fresh battery. Once there and if you know how to apply the correct electrical impulse, the oldest ones (Aladin Pro, Sport Plus, etc.) are relatively easy to restart. The Nitrox Pro, Nitrox Pro2, not so easy because they tend to have an autonomous spirit.
Agreed that some models should be avoided. My recent $0.99 purchase is the glued model. For the price I thought it was worth it just for the S & G and raw entertainment value.

There are several battery replacement services that advertise online. They all appear to be cheaper than factory service and also will service older models that the factory will not?

But once again I would like to trivialize a warning (without giving out too many trade secrets).

If you wanted to seal a Tupperware container full of water with zero air bubbles, most people would fail miserably despite multiple attempts on their kitchen counter - until they got out of the kitchen and filled their tub with water and submerged the empty container and lid separately and then put the lid on under water. No air bubbles. What could be simpler?

Joe Friday,
We are aware of your method of getting rid of the bubbles. Usually, it works, but is quite messy and requires a lot of oil (95% of which will be recovered, I grant that). We use a different method. A point worth mentioning about the air bubbles: unless you leave the inside of the computer half empty, two or three small bubbles here and there will only represent an unpleasant cosmetic effect. They will not affect, at all, the operation or accuracy of the computer. The bubbles will compress and practically disappear as you descend. At 60 feet they would have reduced to 1/3 of their size. Sometimes they coalesce, sometimes even move behind the display never to be seen again.

there is a guy in the states he does the battery change for around 50 bucks he does neally all the scuba pro batteries has done 20 for me ....don't listen to non qualified ......and some one who took a reg course .. the self styled experts here are something else , ask to see the certs from them .......I was ripped off by the SP distributor here in Ontario till I found the guy in the states .....he does a great job has all the parts needed .

there is a guy in the states he does the battery change for around 50 bucks he does neally all the scuba pro batteries has done 20 for me ....don't listen to non qualified ......and some one who took a reg course .. the self styled experts here are something else , ask to see the certs from them .......I was ripped off by the SP distributor here in Ontario till I found the guy in the states .....he does a great job has all the parts needed .
I posted the name to this thread about a week ago but for some reason it was removed. It is:
Uwatec battery replacement service
and they have been doing it for quite a long time.

Joe Friday,
We are aware of your method of getting rid of the bubbles. Usually, it works, but is quite messy and requires a lot of oil (95% of which will be recovered, I grant that). We use a different method. A point worth mentioning about the air bubbles: unless you leave the inside of the computer half empty, two or three small bubbles here and there will only represent an unpleasant cosmetic effect. They will not affect, at all, the operation or accuracy of the computer. The bubbles will compress and practically disappear as you descend. At 60 feet they would have reduced to 1/3 of their size. Sometimes they coalesce, sometimes even move behind the display never to be seen again.
If you are unhappy with a few bubbles then try a thinner oil. A more viscous oil will promote bubble retention.

Joe Friday, certainly using a thin (lower viscosity) oil will reduce bubble retention. We regularly use Johnson's baby oil which is cheap and you can get in any drug store. What oil do you use? Transformer oil by any chance?

Joe Friday, certainly using a thin (lower viscosity) oil will reduce bubble retention. We regularly use Johnson's baby oil which is cheap and you can get in any drug store. What oil do you use? Transformer oil by any chance?
Yes. Transformer oil. I have no idea specifically what it is. It came from a large tank half way down the warehouse. Clear and thin.

I have used baby oil but have been told that the factory oil is silicone. Not sure if this is correct but if it is silicone oil can be found at art suppliers or Amazon

Bell Helmets used to have a great ''saying''...if you have a ten dollar head...buy a ten dollar helmet...

The above statement/argument is like a bucket with no bottom, as one can go to any big box retail store and find inexpensive helmets from none other than Bell.

The cost of a product is often unrelated to the value of the product, and there is a relevant point of diminishing return where the cost exceeds the perceived or actual value, especially in a competitive market.

When you look at things, take for instance bike helmets or scuba regulators, from a purely functional standpoint there is not much difference across the price spectrum of products. All the bike helmets in the US must meet CSPC standard which are based on SNELL and ASTM testing criteria/standards that $10 helmet is at least as safe as that $200+ helmet. And a look through the exploded diagrams of Aqualung 1st stages shows relatively little difference in the internal parts across the spectrum of their diaphragm 1st stages. What does this mean? It means you pay a higher premium for things that add little no intrinsic value to the primary function of the equipment such as external cosmetic finish.

Those that suggest one should pay $200 to Scubapro because over the course of the life of a battery or their computer the cost computes to much less...that is valuation based on amortization, which is sound but not the only valuation theory to consider. Look at it from a depreciation standpoint...if a computer is beyond a certain age then why would it be in one's interest to pay an extremely high price to keep the product in service, especially when that price approximates what it might cost to buy a different product. If you are the sole provider of a product or service type then pricing your service might sway your product owner to spend more and buy a new computer, that would definitely be in the interest of the business...

...but in a relatively small market that is saturated with products that all provide the same basic functions to one degree or another, you are just begging for bad press and loss of market share by setting your price so high your otherwise loyal customers feel like they are being gouged. The dive gear industry like others such as the bicycle industry, is ripe for a supply/distribution model change and that renaissance has already begun. In the past the big brands like SP were able to survive the long haul over the smaller brands due to their established network of retailers....but advances in social media and e-commerce have not leveled the playing field it has tilted it in an entirely different direction....Brick and mortar dive shops face increasing struggle to make ends meet and keep their doors open, companies like SP are foolish to think they can ignore the fact that they are alienating customers in such a tight market with the level of competition that exists.

SP, on their website state: "Deep down you want the best."....perhaps....but how is "best" defined? If one needs to choose between throwing away a perfectly good computer because the battery can't be replaced economically down the road, then why is it worth purchasing it in the first place? If one defines "best" through the lens of environmental stewardship, for example, then unnecessarily sending a computer to the landfill and causing more to be manufactured to continue that cycle would not be the "best" product for one to buy.

-Z

I have used mineral oil for years

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom