Scubapro Second Stage Lever Height

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hu @couv, I just measured three of my levers (coming form old 109), and the width of the feet is slightly above 2.0 mm. I suppose that these are the "large foot" model, which doe snot work well with the S-wing poppet...
Can you tell me the width of the feet for the "narrow foot" version, the one of the middle in your photo?
I suppose that it is better if I purchase a number of the "curly feet" versions, on the left, as these appear to work the best with the S-wing poppets, correct?

Hi @Angelo Farina I suspect you already have the "narrow foot" version, so you should be good to go. I checked a couple of the same type levers and they measured 0.08 -0.09 inches
(2.032-2.286mm.)

Unfortunately, I tossed out the large foot levers a while back. That is a real shame as there might be something else at play-like a different foot angle. Oddly enough, the curly foot levers have large feet too-but just the part that interfaces with the poppet feet.

More info on my research on SB levers. After dismounting all 7 of my 109-156 (that is, six 109 and one 156), I found that my levers are of just two types, as shown here in more detail:
h-9P4uyOa-H9BwWNpEoHUwKeikC4Eh1x9_NthRD4YX1bEuDUIJOL4zCvDNND1c-SFUrCp76qhL0y5fDZ0A=w1263-h947-no.jpg

Currently the width of the feet is not so much different:
0VpBPToJTCueRayOfowK6xErsss_6XvsjQLLrt244svF18sRj4tIDAIZudkvuzx_m3R36_d2JsrI8yQAnM=w1263-h947-no.jpg

rL7mJ-ufwBvy4PPgFgxX-SnlPLmLe4_ocCZTFauHEN21VxKpM9nDjryGF9gCinHALe_1qf9d4ITgLDxOeM=w1263-h947-no.jpg

I have 4 of the narrow type, which were mounted on the 156 and my newest 109s (paired with MK5 with small holes and 5-ports swivel turret), and these work well with the S-wing poppet. The other 3 have the larger feet, and I confirm that these do not work well with the S-wing poppet.
Here another photo showing better the difference between the two types of levers:
Qyp2mCbZwt--Mx1FoiEZpcBd2vHRDMWDbC3vvDRYUOT1lZi3xtWeqfUuqAVGcoQlvIdxUkloc7efRJ1NZM=w1393-h947-no.jpg

The left one works well with the S-wing poppet, the right one doesn't.
Notice the way the feet are obtained reducing the width of the beam after or before the 90° bending. Furthermore, on the left model the edges are rounded, instead they are sharper on the right model.
As my plan is currently to convert all my regs to the S-wing poppet, I need to find at least 3 of the newer levers.
Currently I do not have any of the third, curvy feet version (G250V), but @axxel57 is shipping one to me from Germany, so I will test it in the next days and report here my findings.

Hi @Angelo Farina

I would not call either of the above levers "large foot." However, I see what you mean about the finish on the left lever. It would lend itself to smoother action.

PM sent with a question.

More info on my research on SB levers. After dismounting all 7 of my 109-156 (that is, six 109 and one 156), I found that my levers are of just two types, as shown here in more detail:
View attachment 579451
Currently the width of the feet is not so much different:
View attachment 579452
View attachment 579453
I have 4 of the narrow type, which were mounted on the 156 and my newest 109s (paired with MK5 with small holes and 5-ports swivel turret), and these work well with the S-wing poppet. The other 3 have the larger feet, and I confirm that these do not work well with the S-wing poppet.
Here another photo showing better the difference between the two types of levers:
View attachment 579459
The left one works well with the S-wing poppet, the right one doesn't.
Notice the way the feet are obtained reducing the width of the beam after or before the 90° bending. Furthermore, on the left model the edges are rounded, instead they are sharper on the right model.
As my plan is currently to convert all my regs to the S-wing poppet, I need to find at least 3 of the newer levers.
Currently I do not have any of the third, curvy feet version (G250V), but @axxel57 is shipping one to me from Germany, so I will test it in the next days and report here my findings.
The one on the right how does it affect performance on the S-wing setup with the 156, 109?

The one on the right how does it affect performance on the S-wing setup with the 156, 109?

If you can get them to work, with the "old" feet, I describe the inhalation cycle as "pause-click-woosh". Not smooth at all.

If you can get them to work, with the "old" feet, I describe the inhalation cycle as "pause-click-woosh". Not smooth at all.
Exactly. On-off effect.
But the lever can also sometimes lock in either close or open position, so the reg is not safe to be used.
The beauty of the 109 has always been the extremely smooth transition between "closed" and "open" valve, resulting in very natural breathing, and in the end it reduces SAC.
The ON-Off effect disrupts this entirely, and makes the reg to behave similarly to the old Inject by Technisub - La Spirotechnique...

Just tried this method of checking lever height on my BA.... measured .65 with the orfice backed out and unpressurized. Pressuerized and turnned in the orfice to stop the leak, purge a few times all good. Installed the diaphragm and purge cover and found it pushes on the lever and it leaks. Tried another lever measured the same way .73 even worse of course. Measured from the air barrel to the lever however this BA doesn’t have a flat spot on the air barrel under the lever.

Is there another measurement for a barrel that doesn’t have a flat spot?

See this thread post #32 109 BA

The picture in the post is no longer available, so here it it.

upload_2020-7-26_17-3-22.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom