Scubapro Seawing Nova vs Mares Quattro vs Aqualung Slingshot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think the posts on the Nova's would be a breaking issue any more than a strap breaking or plastic tearing on another fin. The "posts" are quite sturdy I can't come up with a scenario where you could possibly break one. Keep in mind these "posts are probably about 3x as thick as a fin is.

I would definitely try them all out. That's what sold me. I was between the Atomic split fins and Mares X-stream because everyone says how great they both are, and they are. Then the shop owner told me to check out the seawing nova's and I thought they were 1998 fins. They look funny, but he showed me the scubalab review and it looked promising. They are more comfortable, faster, and the least expensive of the ones I was looking at.

Last edited:
Rough rocky exit along our Northern California coast. Our seas are unpredicable. Calm during entry. Sometimes the swells pick up while diving. Big Sur, Sonoma, etc.

I have bent plastic fins over and torn old rubber fins.

If sandy shore, I am not too concerned.

Hello All ,
Thanks for the very useful tips you all provided, frankly after reading your valuable comments I went with the Quattros which I believe is a good choice as I dive in the red sea and the currents could get really crazy , I tried the Quattros in the Thistlegorm and Ras Mohamed dive sites where the current was really craszy strong and they performed quite well without any cramps , but I believe they are a bit heavy in the water (I mean while kicking) so long and slow kicks are the best way to get the best performance , also they are brilliant in the frog kick and very fast too .

A friend of mine bought the aqualung slingshot and he's happy with them , I noticed that his swimming turned out to be really fast and effortless , I'm not sure how they react in strong currents though! I think the sligshots are an excellent

Rough rocky exit along our Northern California coast. Our seas are unpredicable. Calm during entry. Sometimes the swells pick up while diving. Big Sur, Sonoma, etc.

I have bent plastic fins over and torn old rubber fins.

If sandy shore, I am not too concerned.

Considering the novas are probaly the easiest fins to get off and on, I would probably take them off before trying a sketchy ladder. But in those situations I think any fin would be doomed. Except that the novas have a lifetime warranty so you wouldn't be buying a new set.
A friend of mine bought the aqualung slingshot and he's happy with them , I noticed that his swimming turned out to be really fast and effortless , I'm not sure how they react in strong currents though! I think the sligshots are an excellent

The slingshots still have an issues with the straps breaking AFAIK. Check reviews they will back this up.

Seawing novas "Straps" are bungies, making them more comfortable and easier to put on than any other fin IMO. Plus they are the fastest fins, perfect for currents. It will feel like there is no current. The downfalls of the Nova is their looks might not be appealing to everyone, they are hard to get used to frog kicking with, and they are large (hard to pack).

I know I'm pushing them but I can almost gaurantee if you try them out on a dive, ESPECIALLY with current :D that you will be picking up a pair. Although a downfall may be that your friends will be asking you to tow them.

The slingshots still have an issues with the straps breaking AFAIK. Check reviews they will back this up.

I agree about the Sligshots , my friend just lost a strap ,but you have 2 on each fin so you dont get completely crippled. I'm not sure about the Novas performance though ,In the red sea here we have very strong currents , so you need a fin that is a bit rigid and does not break , that is why I went with the Quattros.

Anyway I'm sure everyone has a different opinion :) so you have to try to try them all before you buy if you could

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom