Scubapro Seawing Nova vs Mares Quattro vs Aqualung Slingshot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nomro

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello ,
I'll be buying pair of fins in a day or 2 and I'd like to know the feedback of experienced divers.

I'm in favour of the Seawing Nova , but I heard that they do not work well in very strong currents , not like the more stiff fins like the Quattros (is this true ?). I also heard that you don't feel their feedback in water which makes you believe you are not kicking well and not advancing.

If you were buying a fin , which on of the three above would you buy and why ?

I wouldn't buy the Nova simply because it is a brand new design. It will take a few years of tweaking before we know if the design has any longevity to it. I have no opinion about the other two.

Of the three, I would go with the quattros (actually, of the three, I did go with the quattros :D). It's a very high-quality, almost universally liked, well-made fin offering good control, great propulsion, not much fatigue, and has one of the most comfortable foot pockets on the market. The strap assembly it comes with is very good, but if you do go with these fins, I'd still recommend upgrading to spring straps.

diver_doug, you do understand this is a global forum don't you?

The only post nomro has ever made not just about gear concerns warm water on the other side of the planet from you.

Not only would I give two shaka's to full foot Quattro's, even if you go open heel, they are quite negative already for a 5mm or less leg and foot.

I have made thousands of dives in stock open heel Mares fins, all three of those pairs still have the original straps, and I think the stock Mares strap is one of the reasons to buy Mares open heels. If the rest of the fin would just last as long and work as well as the stock strap I would not have to shop for new Mares open heels. :idk:

I've got the Slingshots and I LOVE them... I tried the Nova and it felt like I wasn't getting any propulsion from them at all... The Slingshots I can adjust as to how hard I want to work, and they work great for everything from skin diving/snorkeling, to full gear push through heavy current. And they're FAST... So many times I'd just be cruising, not even trying at all, and look back and realize I'd left the whole group behind me... Oops!
So, to summarize: Nova, meh. Slingshot, hell yeah.
Just my $.02, your mileage may vary.

As always, you will get mixed opinions on this. I have the Seawing Nova and it is excellent against current and in doing alternate kicking techniques. The fin is most efficient when doing smaller, slower kicks though. If you kick hard, you will only tire yourself and you wont get much propulsion. My only complaint (if you can call it that) is that it is quite positively buoyant - which can be a plus for other people.

Cant go wrong with the Quattros either, as it is a proven design and it does offer good control. The Nova just takes a little more getting used to. I'd rather not use Slingshots simply because its design adds a failure point.

Novas baby. Coming from Cressi hard longblades, the novas are insane.

No fatigue, you cant even tell youre wearing them, which is a good thing and you can zoom.

I gotta admit, I've only tried them once in a pool, but I was so much faster than everyone else I am definitely getting some. The cressis caused me to cramp up horribly, but the novas are very natural.

My biggest concern about the Novas was that the little, flexible posts that connect the two parts of the fin looked like something that could break, and I have since read a couple of reports of them breaking. I believe SP has been good about replacing them, but I'd rather have a fin that doesn't break.

I found them very nice to flutter kick with, delivering a lot of power, and I can't imagine them not being good in current.

My biggest concern about the Novas was that the little, flexible posts that connect the two parts of the fin looked like something that could break, and I have since read a couple of reports of them breaking. I believe SP has been good about replacing them, but I'd rather have a fin that doesn't break.

I found them very nice to flutter kick with, delivering a lot of power, and I can't imagine them not being good in current.

The posts concern me as well. I had the same reaction to the bands on the Slingshots. The Novas seem like a cousin to the Forcefin.

I have used Mares fins Plana Avanti 2 channel? for over 20 years, so I think the Quatros will out perform and hold up well. I have full footpocket and open heel of the Plana Avanti.

The Seawing Nova is an entirely different fin. It is positively buoyant versus the neutral Mares. I call BS on the performance in current.

I have all types of scrapes and bends on the Mares from climbing in and out over rocks. I would baby my Novas just as I do my carbon fins.

I notice that the Nova's upswept tips sometimes hit when I am flutter kicking. Maybe they are a little wide? The bungee straps and foot pocket are very comfortable.

I think I may like the Novas better (not the positive buoyancy), but may be risky especially for shore divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom