Scubapro Seawing Nova - Performance Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well... most people post reviews especially promptly when they've had bad experiences. the ones that don't post 'em most probably are enjoying the fins out there and don't even bother to go back and post reviews. now with that in mind and including the probable number of nova fins sold since they got out, chances are there are more good experiences than bad ones...

just a thought...

now... should i go with mares x-stream or seawing nova... hmmm

@jotaro: It could also be that the people having bad experiences aren't posting reviews. I work in information technology and can attest that the number of people that actually post anything is far less than the majority. You always have a vocal minority for both the good and bad. Now, when you have an inordinate amount of reviews for a specific product leaning in one specific direction (good or bad), it's a pretty good barometer that something is up. The fact that Scubapro changed the hinge style validates that.

Rey..

I finally got a chance to compare a set of SP SeaWing Novas against my SP Twin Jet Max fins in the pool this weekend. I've been diving the TJ Max fins for the past two years and have never had any complaints; other than the amount of positive bouyancy they have, but I got used to it. They have decent power for a split and I've never suffered leg fatigue or excessive cramping while using them. Over the past year, I've heard a lot of good reviews for the SeaWings and a couple of instructors at our shop have switched over to them saying they really liked their performance; so I thought I'd give them a try and see for myself.

To compare them, I swam a series of time trials across the pool (75 feet) with both fins, on the surface and submerged. After several runs back and forth, I found that the SeaWings were slightly faster than my Twin Jets on the surface, but submerged was where I felt the biggest improvement. I was able to cover the distance 5 seconds faster with four less kick cycles using the SeaWing Novas. I also found the Novas to be lighter, slightly less bouyant, more compact, and easier to manuever than my TJ Max's. Looks like I'm buying a new set of fins!:D

gismonkey . . .
We're approaching the one year mark following your assessment. Please bear in mind, Scubapro offers a "Lifetime Warranty" on the fins, so if you've got a reputable dealer nearby, you can trade them in for a new set. However, if you're dropping a boat load 'o money on a dive trip . . . you might want to consider a backup.
Respectfully,

CHMTKlein

As I've posted elsewhere on SB, I have the gorillas, which are like the Nova's but times two. It is one of the few pieces of dive equipment that I have that I feel unambiguously positive about. I've done about 20 dives in mine, a couple of which were in really tough conditions, and there is no indication of any durability issues. Like other posters have stated, even if mine were to fall apart today, I would replace them with another exactly the same.
@chmtklein, have you had a chance to try out the second generation Nova or Gorilla; my understanding is that the newly designed hinge addresses the durability problem?

The Scubapro Seawing Nova is an amazing fin. The articulated joint works. Scubapro has stood behind it and made an appropriate fix. It is a perfect extention of your leg.

I wonder if it will outlast the Scubapro Jet Fin?

I dropped off my broken Novas for replacement and switched to a pair of Oceanic V16s. When the replacement Novas came in four months later, I sold them as new for $85 and never looked back. I love the V16s and can't afford to dive a fin I don't trust when I'm working as an instructor or guide. The performance of the Novas was great, but a lifetime warranty isn't going to get me out of a nasty current with a broken fin.

I hope the redesigned hinge fixes the problem long-term; maybe I'll revisit the Novas when they have another four or five years of service.

gismonkey . . .
We're approaching the one year mark following your assessment. Please bear in mind, Scubapro offers a "Lifetime Warranty" on the fins, so if you've got a reputable dealer nearby, you can trade them in for a new set. However, if you're dropping a boat load 'o money on a dive trip . . . you might want to consider a backup.
Respectfully,

CHMTKlein

Try the gorilla novas if you are having bouyancy issues.

My understanding is that both the regular and Gorilla Seawings are slightly positive in salt water, so this confuses me. (I happen to like positive fins and considered this a plus, by the way.)

Back
Top Bottom