Scubapro Scotia or Mares Isotherm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaMichael

Registered
Reaction score
Hi: I am thinking about buying a Semi dry wetsuits but I am not sure about which one. I am thinking about the Mares Isotherm but I heard that this one has some problems with the back shoulder zipper. The other one is the Scubapro Scotia Semi-Dry. Who has experience with the Scotia. How is the back shoulder zipper? And: Where do I get the Scotia in the U.S. (Found it on the Internet but just in Europe). Thanks

Cant comment on the Mares Isotherm, but as for the Scubapro Scotia -

I find the suit itself is ok, the zipper is sturdy and will serve you well IF you look after it (same applies to all d/s zips). Bare in mind the Scotia is more suited to those of a leaner body figure, it doesnt stretch very far, and if you have a slightly larger or "rounder" build you'll find it a squeeeeeeeze. The shoulders have 0 stretch, due to the zip on the shoulder. depending on who you get to do up the zip, will depend on if the zip is comfortable or not ;-)

Me, being slightly rounder found the suit too tight, and chose another brand of suit, however 2 of my best mates dive with them, with two different opinions.

1) He LOVES the scotia and thinks that the zip's ability to keep out the initial rush of cold water down the back is the best thing since sliced bread, finds it comfy, and very good value, he is of a slim build about 5'10.

2) He LIKES the suit, but once its on he NEVER takes it off on multi-dive days, its just too tight to put on and remove again (he is same height, slightly larger build) and IMHO if neoprene could scream when stretched too far, his would be a siren! ;-)

personally, i dont like the neck seal, but thats just me, hope this helps... best thing, TRY THEM ON FOR FIT!

Hi Masterfish: this was really helpful. Thanks. Which size has your buddy? I am 5'11 and slim (174 pounds) and I am betwenn M and L. The dealer said I should go for the L. Unfortunately I have to order the Scotia via the Internet because nobody near me (New York) has it. Where did your buddies get it? In the US? And: How cold are your buddies going with the Scotia? Is it warm enough for 55 F? Thanks for the answers

ScubaMichael:
Hi Masterfish: this was really helpful. Thanks. Which size has your buddy? I am 5'11 and slim (174 pounds) and I am betwenn M and L. The dealer said I should go for the L. Unfortunately I have to order the Scotia via the Internet because nobody near me (New York) has it. Where did your buddies get it? In the US? And: How cold are your buddies going with the Scotia? Is it warm enough for 55 F? Thanks for the answers

I believe both buddies were "M" but i'd have to double check with them next time we're out diving... they're about 5'10"-5'11 so i would say about the same... ummm 174pound is 78kgs so that would sound about right, but one will be less than that, about 68-71kgs (i'll let you do the conversion this time).
My buddies got it from a dive shop in sydney, where i live (australia).
I guess they're not too cold, one of them utilises an Oceanic next seal, cause the neck seal in the scotia is all stretched out and he reckons its the best neck seal (cost about $15.00 AUD) rather than repair the scotia suit.
It will be warm enough for 12oC water IF you dont mind the cold, but i would recomend a hood in that sort of temperature (well, my ears get cold which hurts my head and makes equalising harder, main reason i dive with hood below 15oC) if you are getting a "large" size and find its a little roomy (i doubt it) but if that should happen, and its not warm enough, get a hooded vest, but make sure it has the semi-dry type seals (rubber) around the neck and chest, to help keep you warm...

hope you enjoy the suit, its not for me, im 5'10 and 74kgs, i just find it too restrictive, hard to put on (when new) so i dive with a super-flex type of suit, it doesnt have a D/S zip, but it does me well enough..

Thanks again. yeah, please double check the size with your buddies. would be helpful for me. probably they tried different sizes. I thought the scotia comes with a hood. but anyway of course I am taking the hood at 15 C. Hope I hear from your buddies. greetings to down under. hope the reef is still ok after the storm, planing to come to australia next year.

ScubaMichael:
Thanks again. yeah, please double check the size with your buddies. would be helpful for me. probably they tried different sizes. I thought the scotia comes with a hood. but anyway of course I am taking the hood at 15 C. Hope I hear from your buddies. greetings to down under. hope the reef is still ok after the storm, planing to come to australia next year.

Glad you're coming down to Oz! there is more diving in Australia than just the reef tho :wink:

i spoke to my mates, 1st one has a medium (thin build, 5'10" approx) but i couldnt get a hold of my other buddy on his mobile (cell-phone). I called 1st mate back, he said (and i quote purely for the laugh factor, well, i thought it was funny, but we always take the p!ss out of each other) "That beer swilling fat-p#$k, he'd have to be a large, i'm surprised he even fits in a scotia".

hope that helps :D

Thanks. This was really helpful. Now I have to decide. I heard that there are more diving in Australia than the reef. But on a short vacation with family this will be the place. But probably I will come back to you for advise next year.

Back
Top Bottom