Scubapro regulators under Ice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the S555 came paired with the MK-17. That was a plastic barreled second. Thanks to Beaver Divers, mine is now a metal barreled S600.....

The smaller size of the SXXX seconds aside, I actually like my MK-17/BA156 combination the best of my collections (though never marketed that way).

Then again, I am itching to put my Kraken into some really cold water.....:vintagediver:

I use the mares Abyss 22 Navy 1st and second stage. It is torture tested by the US Navy to incredible lang-cs what the United States Navy SEALs users so I figure it will go far beyond anything I will ever ask

I've had no issues with my Zeagle 50D and Z secondary here in the Great Lakes. Bottom temp on Aug 24 this summer was 39*f @102 feet in Lake Huron.

I've had no issues with my Zeagle 50D and Z secondary here in the Great Lakes. Bottom temp on Aug 24 this summer was 39*f @102 feet in Lake Huron.

That's probably because if it isn't actually made by Apeks, it is pretty much a clone of a Apeks.

Most of our cold/ice divers up here in Maine set up their gear, but won't turn the air on until the first stage is underwater and don't take a breath until the seconda stage is underwater. I taught a dry suit course a few weeks ago; dive 1-36 F fresh water with 37 F surface temp and dive 2-40F salt water with 24F surface temp. My student's Atomic froze up on dive 1 and I switched him to my Sherwood Blizzard back-up reg without any issues. He used an old USD Conshelf for our salt water dive and was fine. I dive a Zeagle Flathead 7 and didn't have any freeze-ups.

Around here, the older dry-bleed Blizzard is the go-to for divers who have to go out in near-ice conditions (Public safety, harvesters, etc.). They aren't the easiest breathers, but they're simple and reliable. I don't know of anyone diving the newer Blizzard, so I can't speak to their performance. After the Blizzard, Scubapro MK 17/G250 or 260, Apeks, then Zeagle.

my Poseidons, Apeks, and Hogs survived the Maine winters just fine :) The Blizzard bleed though is pretty spiffy though for preventing freezing. Used them a few times, but always put my second stages on them.

The dry-bleed system effectively seals the regulator. It is a much more elegant solution than packing a piston regulator with grease. From what I remember all Sherwoods have this feature from the lowly Brut to the Maximus. The Blizzard has an exhaust heatsink which I assume could be retrofitted into other Sherwood models.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom