ScubaPro Regulator Maintenance question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would like to learn how to do my own maintenance, for nothing else, to be more self reliant. And I assume you can find the parts kits for less than at the dive shop but that's to be seen. I do hands on work with technology equipment by trade so I have good attention to detail and may do a better job than a shop person anyway (once I learn the procedure and have the right tools of course).
It’s not hard at all. Anybody with a little mechanical skill, you don’t even have to have a lot, and attention to detail (big one) can do it.
Clumsiness and uncoordinated people that fumble and have a tendency to scratch things and F things up just out of not being very good with their hands and are not careful have a harder time. How many perfectly good regs have been ruined by clumsy and incompetent reg techs? Probably more than we’d like to know about. But how do you know what they did? It’s always a big mystery. When you do them yourself you know what you did and how it was done. There is no mystery. There are some quirks and knowledge things you need to know about certain reg models/brands but that’s all just gleaned information. Getting parts is the biggest challenge. That’s why I choose older stuff that I can get parts for through VDH (and other sources). I have enough stuff now though that I will last for years before I need to worry about more parts and servicing.

If you had the parts and know-how why didn’t you just do them yourself?
Do you not have the tools?
I had the parts the know-how, the certification AND the tools. What I didn't have at that point was authorization from Scubapro. They have a pretty stringent set of requirements to be authorized to service them (ie must be a dealer, must conduct work at the shop, must have torque wrenches (no requirement to use'em, just have them!), must have a vice connected to a solid floor via magical pole that has been blessed by 4.65 scuba diving virgins, etc.). And because it was for an institutional diving program, and not just personal use, the personal liability I would take on wasn't worth the risk.

Which was a bummer, because I did a WAY better job than the shop guy did.

For people who have maintained a variety of SP regs, could you give your opinion, solely from an expense and maintenance frequently standpoint, the following pairs of devices?

MK17 Evo vs MK19 Evo

G260 vs S620ti

Thanks in advance.

I have a MK17 Evo and 2 S620ti regulators. What's a good source for service kits? Also, are there unique kits to keep the gear nitrox compatible?

For people who have maintained a variety of SP regs, could you give your opinion, solely from an expense and maintenance frequently standpoint, the following pairs of devices?

MK17 Evo vs MK19 Evo

G260 vs S620ti

Thanks in advance.
Mk17 & Mk19 : Mostly the same, uses the same kit I believe.
I don't have the other two, but have the similar G250v and S600 models. The G250v is a bit simpler.
I have a MK17 Evo and 2 S620ti regulators. What's a good source for service kits? Also, are there unique kits to keep the gear nitrox compatible?
@buddhasummer here on SB is a good source for service kits. Otherwise try Ebay. Until you are educated (self-trained or in a class) I would not suggest you attempt to service regulators you plan to use. I started out working on several old and unused regulators and made my mistakes on them. It's not hard to damage a solid brass regulator with the wrong tools or improper procedures.

The thing is that to qualify for the free parts for life you have to have bought several other items, registered the products and present the regulator for service every 100 dives or two years whichever comes first. It is a good program for a new diver kitting out but I did not need a BC, computer and all that. I do need to start collecting up parts kits for the Mark 17 and G260.
It's within two years for PFL regardless of how many dives on the regulator set. They have no idea how many dives you've done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom