ScubaPro Regulator Maintenance question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobPNW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Haven't done my first maintenance cycle. What's the procedure, can I just bring them into any SP shop and drop them off? Do I need any documentation when I bring them in? I hear, I basically pay for the parts kit right? Can I just bring the kits in with the regs?

Thanks.

What regs do you have? How many dives do you have on them? You should be able to get a couple of years on them if you take good care of them. There is lots of great information in the regulator forum (the checklist!) to determine if service is warranted.

What regs do you have? How many dives do you have on them? You should be able to get a couple of years on them if you take good care of them. There is lots of great information in the regulator forum (the checklist!) to determine if service is warranted.
The thing is that to qualify for the free parts for life you have to have bought several other items, registered the products and present the regulator for service every 100 dives or two years whichever comes first. It is a good program for a new diver kitting out but I did not need a BC, computer and all that. I do need to start collecting up parts kits for the Mark 17 and G260.

And don't bring your own kits. That's most of where the shop's profit is. They'll hate you.
When I was still diving SP regs for my dive program, I had a good relationship with a dive shop and I did all the service there myself, and had ordered a bunch of parts kits. The shop went out of business, so I then had to take a fleet a regs to another shop to have them serviced (no corner cutting for an institutional dive program, so even though I was trained, I was no longer authorized to service). I had the parts kits anyway, so I took those as well.

They charged me a $25 fee for each parts kit of mine they used, so $75 per reg. I was not happy with that surprise bill for 15 reg sets. Especially when I had to go back and re-tune a third of them and rearrange all of the hoses, since the new shop set them up with a swivels up.

When I was still diving SP regs for my dive program, I had a good relationship with a dive shop and I did all the service there myself, and had ordered a bunch of parts kits. The shop went out of business, so I then had to take a fleet a regs to another shop to have them serviced (no corner cutting for an institutional dive program, so even though I was trained, I was no longer authorized to service). I had the parts kits anyway, so I took those as well.

They charged me a $25 fee for each parts kit of mine they used, so $75 per reg. I was not happy with that surprise bill for 15 reg sets. Especially when I had to go back and re-tune a third of them and rearrange all of the hoses, since the new shop set them up with a swivels up.
If you had the parts and know-how why didn’t you just do them yourself?
Do you not have the tools?

I would like to learn how to do my own maintenance, for nothing else, to be more self reliant. And I assume you can find the parts kits for less than at the dive shop but that's to be seen. I do hands on work with technology equipment by trade so I have good attention to detail and may do a better job than a shop person anyway (once I learn the procedure and have the right tools of course).

Haven't done my first maintenance cycle. What's the procedure, can I just bring them into any SP shop and drop them off? Do I need any documentation when I bring them in? I hear, I basically pay for the parts kit right? Can I just bring the kits in with the regs?

Don't use any shop. Ask around to learn which shop has a good reputation for service. They most definitely are not all equal.

Back
Top Bottom