Scubapro R190

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyway, these models came without plugs according to the schematics.
Hi @axxel57 Would this be earlier or later versions of the R190?

TIA,

Couv

Edit: Just found the answer, the earlier versions (pre 1995 I think) did not have the plugged aspirator. See attachment where both versions are shown.

Attachments

• R190-1997-12.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 107
Hi @axxel57 Would this be earlier or later versions of the R190?

TIA,

Couv

Edit: Just found the answer, the earlier versions (pre 1995 I think) did not have the plugged aspirator. See attachment where both versions are shown.
Yes, and the '92 version.......

Attachments

• R190-1992-01.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 45
So my cracked one is the newer type? But the two would be interchangeable, although they presumably updated to make it better?

Finally, does anyone know if 11-300-036 is the current part number? I know it's working OK but the cracks sure bug me.

Thanks for your continued responses guys.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220204-065006_EBookDroid.jpg
    Screenshot_20220204-065006_EBookDroid.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20220129_185301.jpg
    20220129_185301.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 35
Actually, the latest configuration I have (see attachment) has a different part number than either of the two in your picture above. I'm of the opinion they are all interchangeable. Again, I do not think the plastic cover has any real impact on the fit or function, so just peel it off.

Of course if there are two aspirator holes, the one facing away from the mouthpiece is the one to plug. I say this after looking at some of the older documents that do not seem to indicate there are two aspirator holes in all of the demand valve housings.

Attachments

• R190-2010-06.pdf
    40.8 KB · Views: 37
What if one were to just squirt some silicone RTV into that little vent hole and called it good?

James

Let us know. :)

Actually, the latest configuration I have (see attachment) has a different part number than either of the two in your picture above. I'm of the opinion they are all interchangeable. Again, I do not think the plastic cover has any real impact on the fit or function, so just peel it off.

Of course if there are two aspirator holes, the one facing away from the mouthpiece is the one to plug. I say this after looking at some of the older documents that do not seem to indicate there are two aspirator holes in all of the demand valve housings.
Couv, I'm pretty sure that there have been always two aspirator holes in the housing.
One of the sales arguments of SP from the beginning on was, that, in contrast to the R190 predecessor, the 108 HP, one could swap the hose inlet from one to the other side.
I have R190s from the first generation (which never were sold in the US , a.f.a.i.k), which already have the two aspirators, but no plastic around it.
I think the plastic came from SPs goal to reduce the icing of and around the housing.
At that time they thought (like most manufacturers) that delaying the forming of ice through plastic coating or plastic 2nd stage cases would be practically the best way to make cold water diving more save.
Later they found out, that fast 'rewarming' of the case and housing is more important to prevent icing of the valve, so they went back to the pure metal ( at least for the inner components).

Now a little off-topic, but I did a table of R-190 poppet housing changes over time if anyone wants it.

Based off the part numbers and appearance of the drawings it looks like:
* PN 11-190-105. Original poppet housing, 1992-1994
* PN 11-300-036. Newer poppet housing, 1995-1997/98 (plastic covered two holes?)
* PN 11-190-105. Newest(?) poppet housing but original part number. 1998/99 onwards (all metal two holes?).

As for interchangeability - the case is PN 11-300-021 across all drawings 1992-2010.

This table prompts me to ask, what makes a Revision versus a Configuration for SP purposes? Some of the R190 diagrams have a Revision, some have a Configuration, most have both. Most seem to increase the letter/number over time but its not a inviolate rule and sometimes goes backwards for the Revision, but never the Configuration.

Attachments

• R-190 poppet housing changes over time.xls
    11 KB · Views: 62
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom