Scubapro R190

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not available new, but I’m sure someone on the forum has one. That’s how I got one. Had to tear an old one apart to get it but now it’s all good. Good luck!

I don't think the plastic cover has any effect on the fit or function of the valve. I would just live with it.

More important is the little aspirator plug that seems to go missing about the same time the plastic valve cover cracks.

@couv you hit the nail right on the head. I assume you are talking about a plug that goes into one of the two holes that are in the housing?

Now I look at another 190 I think I can see one port is plugged. In my cracked housing both of those holes are currently unplugged. It looks to me that the housing might be be drilled for left/right convertability and the unused side gets a plug?

What effect does two unplugged ports have on the reg? Is it something I can live with or improvise a fix? If I don't want it convertible I'm thinking that a permanent solution might be feasible? Or perhaps I should retire it and use as a parts donor? The near perfect teal diaphragm alone is probably worth more that the R190.

No, no, no...do not retire that perfectly good R190! Forget about the plastic cover missing on the demand valve, it's of no consequence. I just sold a very nice R190 that breathed almost on par with a G250...but don't tell anyone.

The plug you speak of goes into to aspirator port opposite of the one that faces the mouthpiece. Basically, you want to plug (item 3) the side that does not assist in venturi action toward the mouthpiece. Yes, you can live without it and leave both sides unplugged, but it will breathe easier with venturi effect. Speaking of venturi. If you do swap the position of the demand valve to the opposite side, move the plug again so the open side faces the mouthpiece. Additionally, some SP venturi vanes (VIVA) have a small deflector (item 36) attached to the vane (item 17.) Move the deflector (if installed) to the same side of the vane as the demand valve.

Far be it from me to advise not using only Scubapro original parts (SP part number 110000337.) But I've heard some people stamp out a 2.6mm X 5.4mm rubber plug. Cannot say for sure as I would never do that as one would have a death wish to do so.

1643648667083.png

@couv you hit the nail right on the head. I assume you are talking about a plug that goes into one of the two holes that are in the housing?

Now I look at another 190 I think I can see one port is plugged. In my cracked housing both of those holes are currently unplugged. It looks to me that the housing might be be drilled for left/right convertability and the unused side gets a plug?

What effect does two unplugged ports have on the reg? Is it something I can live with or improvise a fix? If I don't want it convertible I'm thinking that a permanent solution might be feasible? Or perhaps I should retire it and use as a parts donor? The near perfect teal diaphragm alone is probably worth more that the R190.
Okay, Couv was faster again......
Two unplugged ports mean that you don't have any Venturi Effect with your 2nd or only very little. Normally the R190s are notorious for their tendency of a very strong Venturi, means they easily might feed force you with air.
In few cases I had to remove the plug to tame the Venturi when even two flow restrictors wouldn't stop a Venturi Override at low Flow Rates on the bench or when breathing hard from them.
I have changed quite some aspirators (housings) from different model generations, they all fit into the R190 Case (at least from the 2nd generation on).

@couvI hear your love for the 190. My first set of regs came with S600/R295 and the 190s that shop had for hire were at least as good. It turned me right off compact second stages.

Two unplugged ports mean that you don't have any Venturi Effect with your 2nd or only very little. Normally the R190s are notorious for their tendency of a very strong Venturi, means they easily might feed force you with air.
In few cases I had to remove the plug to tame the Venturi when even two flow restrictors wouldn't stop a Venturi Override at low Flow Rates on the bench or when breathing hard from them.
I have changed quite some aspirators (housings) from different model generations, they all fit into the R190 Case (at least from the 2nd generation on).
So just get yourself any used R190 aspirator( valve housing) or order a new one with your local SP Dealer (11.190.105).
You can use all parts from your old, broken housing, then you should be fine....

Attachments

• P1110820.JPG
    P1110820.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 37
  • P1110819.JPG
    P1110819.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 44
  • P1110818.JPG
    P1110818.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 48
  • P1110817.JPG
    P1110817.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 47
  • P1110816.JPG
    P1110816.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 44
I think I was principally right about the plug and its effect on the Venturi, but not with this R190 model (aspirator model).
They came without those plugs, because their design gets the open orifice so close to the 'case wall' that it seems it wouldn't have real effect on the Venturi and it would be difficult anyway to put back the housing into the case with a plug in the aspirator, there is simply hardly any space for it.
The newer aspirators have their orifice angled away from the 'case wall', so the air escapes easily into the inner R190 case creating turbulence, inhibiting the Venturi.

Attachments

• P1110833.JPG
    P1110833.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 33
  • P1110832.JPG
    P1110832.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 34
  • P1110834.JPG
    P1110834.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 34
  • P1110835.JPG
    P1110835.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 30
without it plugged, the outward facing asperator will (likely/potentially?) push the exhaust diaphragm open... wet breather...

without it plugged, the outward facing asperator will (likely/potentially?) push the exhaust diaphragm open... wet breather...
Maybe some air could escape in direction exhaust valve if you push the purge button too much, but if you inhale the air flow will not be able to effect the exhaust valve I think, because almost all air is directed towards the mouth piece shaft.
Anyway, these models came without plugs according to the schematics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom