Scubapro Pure Tec or Form Tec help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichigandiverJon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, This may be a very rudimentary question, but I'm looking to upgrade my kit to eventually pursue Tech training. I currently have a jacket style BC and I know the back plate and wing will be quite different to start with. But I am torn between the Scubapro Form Tec harness and the Pure Tec harness. If I purchase either one I will be initially diving it with a single config While I gather additional gear and training to go deeper. I would like to get a BC that I can grow into so to speak so and has a lot of versatility. Any other recommendations are also appreciated.

You don't need all the padding, bells and whistles. The Pure tec is all you will need. Save your money. Personally I'd chose the pure tec, well actually I'd go the DGX and buy their basic harness set I imagine it will be cheaper that the SP. The SP Tec line is pretty spendy.

Scroll down the page it's $32USD

Backplate, Harness and Wing Systems (BPW) by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

+1 on the Pure Tec. You can upgrade if/when you ever felt that need (hint: you probably never will...).

However, given that most backplates/harnesses are virtually identical, you should be aware that there are much more economical options on the market. 99% of backplate/harness/wing are interchangeable between brands..

You don't need all the padding, bells and whistles. The Pure tec is all you will need. Save your money. Personally I'd chose the pure tec, well actually I'd go the DGX and buy their basic harness set I imagine it will be cheaper that the SP. The SP Tec line is pretty spendy.

Scroll down the page it's $32USD

Backplate, Harness and Wing Systems (BPW) by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express
The crotch strap is extra! And I prefer a softer material than those supply by DR.

The crotch strap is extra! And I prefer a softer material than those supply by DR.

True. I make a crotch strap out of excess webbing supplied, as I only use 3 D Rings I use the 4th and triglide for the crotch strap, I have spare triglides lying around for the second required to make the crotch strap. Personally I prefer the stiffer webbing I find it holds shape and is easier to get in and out of.

Buy the simple harness first. If you decide you don't like it, you aren't out a lot of money to transition to the other (which I doubt you will do). On the other hand, if you buy the fancy one and don't like it, you're throwing away a lot of money.

Is there a reason you are particularly sold on the ScubaPro setup? I have seen and handled that gear, and I believe there are better quality choices at better price points out there.

The D-rings on the X-Tec Form harness are fixed in place. I think you would be best served with the X-Tec Pure, or any backplate with standard webbing. If the ScubaPro prices do not scare you, then look at some of the backplates from Deep Sea Supply.

Thank you all very much for your input. You've given me much more to consider than the sales hype for sure. I was looking at Scuba Pro as that's what my LDS carries and I might be able to get it for a little over cost though I don't know what that number is yet. I dive dry so the stiffer webbing of the DR I don't think will bother me. And like Buddhasummer said I would think it would be easier to don and doff. I'm not set on any specific brand, I just want the best bang for my buck and would love to hear from people who have been there, done that and can give their experienced opinions. TSandM, any thoughts on what you'd recommend that would be fairly versatile? Thanks again!

A complete set of DR goes for $299.00 at DGX.
Al plate, 25lbs wing, harness with crotch strap, cam bands, D-rings etc etc.

Thank you all very much for your input. You've given me much more to consider than the sales hype for sure. I was looking at Scuba Pro as that's what my LDS carries and I might be able to get it for a little over cost though I don't know what that number is yet. I dive dry so the stiffer webbing of the DR I don't think will bother me. And like Buddhasummer said I would think it would be easier to don and doff. I'm not set on any specific brand, I just want the best bang for my buck and would love to hear from people who have been there, done that and can give their experienced opinions. TSandM, any thoughts on what you'd recommend that would be fairly versatile? Thanks again!

Contact Tobin at DSS, or PM him here on this board and have a chat. They make very high quality, well though out gear at prices much cheaper than SPs Tec line. He will only sell you what you need, what is right for you and nothing more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom