What is respectably professional gear for a new DM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen several dive leaders wear two different coloured fins. It makes them very easy to identify underwater in a group of strangers
Yes, I've seen that. I used to wear a coloured bracelet to identify myself to students.

Big Pockets

Either on the wetsuit/Drysuit or on the BCD.

For keeping spare lead - divers in rental gear don’t know their correct weighting and may need to add or drop a few pounds.

And for a Save a Dive kit. My LDS does mostly shore dives and one of the instructors manages to fit a truly amazing number of spares for the rental gear in his Drysuit pocket. Saves a long uphill hike back to the van when a mask strap breaks.

No one cares what BC you wear or what regulator you wear so long as they function.

Like everyone else says. Be easily identified, I have seen brightly colored leggings, easily identified fins, a plastic chicken, attached to the tank, the easiest was a guy with dreadlocks who looked like Medusa underwater.
Carry extra weight and some save a dive items.
Most importantly, don't rush the dive. Im there to enjoy the dive and see stuff not swim around at full speed

Big Pockets

Either on the wetsuit/Drysuit or on the BCD.

For keeping spare lead - divers in rental gear don’t know their correct weighting and may need to add or drop a few pounds.

And for a Save a Dive kit. My LDS does mostly shore dives and one of the instructors manages to fit a truly amazing number of spares for the rental gear in his Drysuit pocket. Saves a long uphill hike back to the van when a mask strap breaks.
No argument here. I've exited the water on occasion to get more weights during student weight checks. This should be done ahead of the dives in waist/chest high water, but extra weights can't hurt.
The instructor has big pockets--how big? custom made? No instructor I worked for had spare straps--we just got the student a spare mask from shore kit.

It always bugged me to see instructors teach pool sessions in configurations different from student rigs (long hose, integrated octos etc). How can you demonstrate a skill in a different configuration?

One of the instructors with an air 2 at the shop where i work laughed that a student tried to breathe on his inflator after donating his primary. Wtf? Seems like the failure was on the instructor's part.

Back
Top Bottom