Scubapro parts for life program update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A company admits that for decades its policy has been to make its customers to pay for reg service (at least) twice as often as their product required... and you say "yay!" because they were nice enough to change that? Sorry, I don't get it.

I think a parts for life program is a good selling point for a regulator set, but since I don't need a new BC, i'll just go elsewhere for regs.

A company admits that for decades its policy has been to make its customers to pay for reg service (at least) twice as often as their product required... and you say "yay!" because they were nice enough to change that? Sorry, I don't get it.

My family has 4 1st stages and 8 2nd stages covered by the program, for me, this is a step in the right direction, delayed or not. These were all purchased well before the scuba package requirement of 2012.

Good diving, Craig

Hey, it's your money - spend as much of it as you like, however you like. Me, I'll stick to those that have always had realistic service schedules. I'm only up to 7 first stages and 9 second stages now though :wink:

Hey, it's your money - spend as much of it as you like, however you like. Me, I'll stick to those that have always had realistic service schedules. I'm only up to 7 first stages and 9 second stages now though :wink:

Second your reply

Most of this thread was lost....but speaking of 'realistic' service schedules, for most of my regs 2 years is far more frequent than necessary.

By far the best scuba decision I've made was to start buying old cheap regulators and maintaining them myself. It's very tough to beat a $75 MK10/D300 or a $50 balanced/adjustable. G250s are getting up there; a friend bought a MK20/G250/R190 for about $200 and unfortunately it needed a new piston, so with the parts it ended being around $300 rebuilt and ready to dive. I rebuilt it 4 years ago when she bought it, I recently inspected it and it's in perfect working condition. Well designed, well cared-for regulators last a looonnnnngggg time between rebuilds.

If you've not heard about the Oct 1, 2012 change in the Scubapro PFL program, you may want to check out the post from the manufacturer's section, http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/scubapro/407051-scubapro-parts-life-policy-explained.html Service is now required every 2 years or 100 dives to maintain good standing in the program, yay!
Yes, the new Scubapro Free Parts for Life program has been well received.

The customer can either have their reg. serviced every year if they dive a lot ( 100 dives/year ) or every two years.

Personally, I have my reg. serviced twice a year due to the heavy use ( 200+ dives/year )!

Yes, the new Scubapro Free Parts for Life program has been well received.

The customer can either have their reg. serviced every year if they dive a lot ( 100 dives/year ) or every two years.

Personally, I have my reg. serviced twice a year due to the heavy use ( 200+ dives/year )!

A bit OT here, but when maintenance of a sophisticated piece of equipment is required, I believe only certain people have the talent to service such equipment, regardless of their certifications, and put it back into their customer's hands to test it. I have been a flight instructor for over 35 years and maintenance officer for several flight operations I have flown for. I, along with most pilots, have always known that one of the most potentially dangerous flights you will make is when your aircraft comes out if its required annual inspection. Although a relatively non-invasive inspection, I have personally had two aircraft that I have test flown just out of annual try to fall out of the sky while I looked for a long piece of concrete.

OT now, over-maintenance of a regulator is folly. It just increases your risk of failure. Treat your equipment like it's meant to save your life, clean it like it's meant to save your life. Use a checklist (couv's sticky here is the best I've seen,) and have it serviced by the best, i.e., the manufacturer, if they allow you to send your equipment directly to them. Atomic allows this; I don't know of any others.

No offense, but comparing regulator maintenance to airplane maintenance is not even close to a fair comparison. Regulators are not "sophisticated pieces of equipment", they're very simple devices with a couple of moving parts that do a very simple task. And labeling regulators as lifesaving (I realize you did not directly do this) is very silly. It's the oldest sales-gimmick in the dive shop book, and what it really does is reveal ignorance of the most basic tenants of dive safety.

Also, you have no way of knowing who is servicing your regs when you send them back to the manufacturer. One hopes that it would be less of a crapshoot than an authorized dealer, but the bottom line is, unless you do it yourself, or send it to someone specifically who has proven himself to be competent, you don't really know how it's done. Good thing your life doesn't depend on it like they say!

---------- Post added January 7th, 2013 at 11:20 AM ----------

Don't you do it yourself?

Back
Top Bottom