Scubapro or Oceanic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wgmontgomery

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have two reg sets:
Scubapro Mk15 & FDX10 1st stages that I'll (probably) pair with my good ole G250. Any opinions on which is better? I always dove with Scubapro Mk20-G250 combo, but it was stolen. I now have two reg sets but will probably keep the G250 as I love it.
Both sets will need service before I dive, and I read that the Mk15 can be difficult to service. I'm kind of new to the area (Levittown, NY on LI) and am in need of a good tech at a LDS.
Thanks!

I don't know about the Mk15 servicing but paired with the G250 all you have to do is find a Scubapro dealer for service. Paired with the Oceanic you have to find someone who services both. I would assume most competent Oceanic techs could also tune the G250 for it - assuming their shop policies allow it. My local Scubapro dealer won't - they're a Platinum dealer so only sell/service SP. Which is kind of funny since the same tech in a different shop also worked on my Atomics a few years ago.

I should note: Scubapro set is a Mk15 & G250; Oceanic is FDX10 and Delta 3. Which should I keep??
thanks!!

I know for a fact that Delta4 is NOT actually a balanced 2nd stage, it is called "mechanical balanced" by Oceanic. It is "balanced" by a spring, which is not balanced. I can only imagine Delta3 is of the same design. Between the 2nd stages, no comparison, G250. Beside it is a real balanced 2nd stage, G250 is just better in build quality and craftmentship.

What about 1st stages? FWIW-I was leaning toward the SP G250 as I've dove with one many times. The FDX10 is newer than the Mk15, but is it BETTER/equal in performance?Thanks

---------- Post added September 17th, 2015 at 04:24 PM ----------

My mistake: Oceanic second is a Delta 4! Probably very similar to the 3! I went to my LDS (Oceanic dealer) and asked his opinion. He was VERY honest. He said that he'd keep the Oceanic because he IS a dealer; he also said that the FDX10 is/was an "upscale" first stage. He really didn't comment too much on the Delta 4.
One thing that I found odd was that he claimed to be unfamiliar with the Scubapro units. He's not a Scubapro dealer, but he owns a dive shop. It's not as if Scubapro is some oddball newcomer to gear.
Anyway, I'm leaning towards keeping the Mk -5 & G250. My LDS will send out the Scubapro units for service IF Ikeep them.
One set will go in the water with me; I'll sell the other set pretty cheaply, but that's another post.

Last edited:
The MK-15 is kind of an oddball regulator as it was replaced by the MK-20 after a short period of time. It is not overly difficult to service and is still supported by Scubapro.

The Oceanic set is more modern. The Delta 4 is a solid regulator but it is not balanced and not as smooth as a G-250. The FDX10 is a sealed diaphragm regulator which some people prefer over an unsealed piston. Especially cold water divers.

I can mix and match, if that's a better approach. As was previously mentioned, servicing two brands of regs may present a problem; I'd hate to have to take them to two different shops for service, but if the FDX10/G250 combi is better than the Mk15/G250 combo, I will.
I'm new to LI diving, but I assume that cold water is to be expected.
I guess that I'm asking, "What would you do?" I should mention that I do a lot of wreck diving (previously off NC coast) which can get deep.
Thanks again for everyone's input; I honestly don't know what to do...I can't keep both due to $$

---------- Post added September 17th, 2015 at 07:35 PM ----------

---------- Post added September 17th, 2015 at 07:37 PM ----------

I should clarify that I am new to diving HERE (NY/LI) but not to diving. I bought a Mk20/G250 when I first got certified in the late '90s, so I didn't spend much time looking at new gear. I was very happy with the combo & dove everything from NC wrecks to Fl caverns/caves. I DID change BCs from a jacket to wings (Seaquest to DUI & currently own Dive Rite) but that was the only gear change that I ever made.

---------- Post added September 18th, 2015 at 10:23 AM ----------

I have also rented/borrowed regs (mainly for stage bottles) but even those were Scubapro. Since I like/TRUST Scubapro I think that I'll keep the Mk15/G250 & the Oceanic octo. If I wasn't selling the other reg I'd keep the Delta 4 & use it as an octopus. Thanks to all!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom