New old stock Aqualung core?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(a bit of an uneducated guess)
I would say no just get it checked at an LDS that IP is stable
I would worry more about the 2nd stage that the LP seat has a deep impression -- depending on LDS that should be realatively cheap(er) than full service
(they might wanna charge you for just the seat and tuning, or the full service kit and "more")

I would recommend doing it asap when you buy it, and if the LDS tells you it's way out of shape (e.g. 1st stage has IP creep), take advantage of Amazon returns

btw: peaking at the seller from Amazon it seems to be this diveshop (which list it at their own website for 474); but maybe you can give them a call and ask when was this unit actually produced? if they can check it before you actually order it, maybe even get a discount on servicing your Core (you mentioned it does need to be serviced) πŸ€·πŸ½β€β™€οΈ

Maybe even their answer reveals it's a non issue and the reg performs as new

I would personally go for it, since almost everything is under warranty from the momment you buy it (not the moment the shop bought it); but YMMV

PS: lots of "new" regualtors do ship out of tune -- an exprience I have read about from quite a few members, and I peronally exprienced with a new mk19 I got in January; so maybe you can get it tuned for free anyway if you play your cards right

I'll toss my vote in for the MK17. It's sealed vs the non supreme core being open. Better for long term reliability. The G250 is a better constructed 2nd stage. I always found the plastic on the core 2nd stage to be really cheap and brittle feeling.

Service costs are going to be comparable for both unless you can take advantage of Aqualungs parts for life program

I'll toss my vote in for the MK17. It's sealed vs the non supreme core being open. Better for long term reliability. The G250 is a better constructed 2nd stage. I always found the plastic on the core 2nd stage to be really cheap and brittle feeling.

Service costs are going to be comparable for both unless you can take advantage of Aqualungs parts for life program
I second that

main reson I have the core is, when I was doing ANDP course, my instrutor lent me one to use on the deco bottle; and I liked the idea that it has ACD which helps with depresurrized bottles underwater so I got myself one; but I went for the supreme version (I found it at a good deal used)
Also the g250 has an adjustment knob: has a bit of range to "tune" it unlike the core 2nd

I second that

main reson I have the core is, when I was doing ANDP course, my instrutor lent me one to use on the deco bottle; and I liked the idea that it has ACD which helps with depresurrized bottles underwater so I got myself one; but I went for the supreme version (I found it at a good deal used)
Also the g250 has an adjustment knob: has a bit of range to "tune" it unlike the core 2nd
I mean the balancing tends to be a little better on the Core at varying supply pressures. The ACD system is certainly better than the Oceanic DVT was.

But as an aside, the ACD is not doing anything to save your reg when it's depressurized if its screwed into the tank. The mechanism is mechanical and not pneumatic. As the reg is attached to the tank it opens. It's no different than any other reg when it's attached

I mean the balancing tends to be a little better on the Core at varying supply pressures. The ACD system is certainly better than the Oceanic DVT was.

But as an aside, the ACD is not doing anything to save your reg when it's depressurized if its screwed into the tank. The mechanism is mechanical and not pneumatic. As the reg is attached to the tank it opens. It's no different than any other reg when it's attached
oh.. I didn't know that; so... the nenfit is only at the dunk/rinse bucket then
ah well, good to know -- I certainly do learn something new in every thread πŸ˜…

are you looking at scubapro/aqualung due to that is what your local shop will service?

If you are open to other brands and maybe needing to mail out for service, you could buy new dive rite/dgx d6 or possibly zeagle instead

I have a Core Supreme, several G250s and G260/M17E and a bunch of others. In terms of durability the G250 is a much more ruggedly built second stage. The Mark 17E has signifciant performance beyond the Core. The Core Supreme is just a Conshelf rearranged with basic internal parts unchanged. The same even for the Legend.

The ACD issue was fixed, the Core Supreme with ACD is a fine, compact first stage and impervious to the elements. The first stage on the left is a Core with the ACD shutter valve having a ridge on it. That is the new version. The right first stage is a Legend without the improved shutter valve:

The Core first stage is the same as the new Helix and the Helix is the same second stage as the Core with a graphics change and the Helix Compact is just the same thing in a smaller case. All that, I would go for the Mark 17 with the G250 assuming it is in excellent condition. The Core/Helix second stages are molded ABS plastic, the G250 is 20% glass fiber reinforced polyamide (Nylon 6). Guess which one can take a licking and keep on ticking!

The AL Core is a good regulator.
I went ahead and bought a used mk17e and g260. It was in great shape. Last serviced in 2022. $200 with a us divers octo. $200 for the service but I think she will have an awesome ref setup.

PS: lots of "new" regualtors do ship out of tune -- an exprience I have read about from quite a few members, and I peronally exprienced with a new mk19 I got in January; so maybe you can get it tuned for free anyway if you play your cards right

This is true from what I have heard. The G260 I just bought new, needed/was tuned by the shop that sold it to me.

Back
Top Bottom