Scubapro or Mares?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vmax8

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know it’s almost a philosophical question, but I still would like your input/suggestions.
I’m torn between Mares Abyss 42 and Scubapro MK25/S600.

In this forum, I read about shortcomings in serviceability of Mares in certain areas. This is not an issue for me, as I can get good service for both where I am located.
I am only interested in reliability and performance.

I know it’s almost a philosophical question, but I still would like your input/suggestions.

In this forum, I read about shortcomings in serviceability of Mares in certain areas. This is not an issue for me, as I can get good service for both where I am located.

Almost philosophical? Vague would be a better laymen way to put it. What are you trying to get out of a regulator? Reliability and performance is across the board so hands down that's what everyone wants from a regulator, but what kind of diving do you do or plan to do? warm or cold water...a little bit of both? Lake and quarry or the ocean? (the above are well suited for both). Tech and deep diving or recreational and light?

The Abyss handles one extreme to the other very well. So if you're back and forth from cold to warm water....it's great, (although a bit heavy for travel & tote purposes). It's easy breathing at any depth. You can beat the hell out of it and it keeps on breathing. :D It's a diaphragm, the environmental seal is great, no water is going to get into your first stage...the SP MK25/S600 often in servicing can show a bit more corrosion...it's a piston (btw). You'll receive better servicing and support with the MK25 from SP. The MK25 is a well established high performance design. It's system provides extremely high and smooth air delivery and very stable intermediate pressure, virtually eliminates all conceived breathing effort. Better hose routing as well. You seldom ever hear about any issues on the MK25.

The preference is all yours....

I love my SP regs and although I have never used Mares I dont really like them.
You may be better with a MK17 and G250V if doing any cold water diving.

Remember that 40 year old SP regs can still be serviced while when Dacor were brought out by Mares they stopped supplying parts.
You may ask your self who is going to use a 40 year old reg anyway.
I do. All they way to 50meters+ and they are great.

From talking to Dacor dealers, the problem was when Mares bought out Dacor and announced they would be discontinuing service parts, they simply stated that parts for older regulators would be discontinued, and did not clarify the definition of "older" which turned out to be just about anything that was not in current production. This may have made a lot of business sense, given the vast number of different parts found in different generations of Dacor regualators, but it certainly has not won them any customer loyalty.

although I have never used Mares I dont really like them.

How can you dislike something you've never used!?!?!? :confused::confused::confused:
Sounds more like you don't agree with their business practices. Scubapro isn't exactly stelar in their business practices either. They don't honor their warranty if you don't buy from an authorized dealer, but Leisurepro doesn't seem to have a problem getting Scubapro gear to sell.

One thing I like about my Mares is the metal body. If you dive in cold water the condensation inside the metal body will eliminate dry mouth. If you dive warm water, the metal body won't help. This was the final deciding factor for me. Dry mouth was really uncomfortable for me with plastic body regulators.

One thing I like about my Mares is the metal body. If you dive in cold water the condensation inside the metal body will eliminate dry mouth. If you dive warm water, the metal body won't help. This was the final deciding factor for me. Dry mouth was really uncomfortable for me with plastic body regulators.

Same here! Mine is new but it was great when I tested the Proton 42 before purchasing it.

i personally use a SP MK17/G250V regs they are awesome regs for cold water diving. i was gonna go with a Mares abyss 22 but "DA" changed my mind and good thing he did

Almost philosophical? Vague would be a better laymen way to put it. What are you trying to get out of a regulator? Reliability and performance is across the board so hands down that's what everyone wants from a regulator, but what kind of diving do you do or plan to do? warm or cold water...a little bit of both? Lake and quarry or the ocean? (the above are well suited for both). Tech and deep diving or recreational and light?

The Abyss handles one extreme to the other very well. So if you're back and forth from cold to warm water....it's great, (although a bit heavy for travel & tote purposes). It's easy breathing at any depth. You can beat the hell out of it and it keeps on breathing. :D It's a diaphragm, the environmental seal is great, no water is going to get into your first stage...the SP MK25/S600 often in servicing can show a bit more corrosion...it's a piston (btw). You'll receive better servicing and support with the MK25 from SP. The MK25 is a well established high performance design. It's system provides extremely high and smooth air delivery and very stable intermediate pressure, virtually eliminates all conceived breathing effort. Better hose routing as well. You seldom ever hear about any issues on the MK25.

The preference is all yours....

I'll go with a ditto on most of the above. I own the SP set listed above. I can give you no input on the Mares - never owned a set - never dove a set so far as I can remember.

I love my SP regs and although I have never used Mares I dont really like them.

I like frozen yogurt and although I've never tasted chocolate ice cream, I know I don't like it. What?

Life is like a box of chocolates - Forrest.

How can you dislike something you've never used!?!?!? :confused::confused::confused:
Sounds more like you don't agree with their business practices. Scubapro isn't exactly stelar in their business practices either. They don't honor their warranty if you don't buy from an authorized dealer, but Leisurepro doesn't seem to have a problem getting Scubapro gear to sell.

OK I dont like their business practice I also much prefer a balanced and adjustable 2nd stage and AFAIK Mares dont make them.
No need to talk to me about metal bodied 2nd stages. I own 5 metal bodies balanced adjustable scubapros.

I like frozen yogurt and although I've never tasted chocolate ice cream, I know I don't like it. What?

Life is like a box of chocolates - Forrest.

Frozen yoghurt is much better for you than chocolate ice cream. I dont need to eat it to know its not healthy. Still not sure what your point is though?????

Back
Top Bottom