Scubapro online sales

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapro50:
I guess the only way any of us can answer this question about warranty is purchase a ScubaPro product at ScubaToys and send in all the required paperwork ... then take it to a current ScubaPro dealer and see if they will perform work under warranty ....
Dan;
I think you have a great idea there. You need to do this as I know you need to update your equip. See if SP will service your 30+ yr old regs. I know you must've filled out the paperwork on them in the '70's.
Bill

dirthead:
I bought a SP Mk25/S600 from my LDS in July, and registered the product on SP's website. Upon entering the serial number on the registration page, the name of my LDS popped up in the "dive shop purchased from" line. I didn't enter that information anywhere. It seems that at least in this case, SP is already tracking serial numbers, since they knew what LDS that reg set went to.

It supposed to be flagged and tagged to a dealer when the regulator is shipped from the factory.. This has been in place for 2 years at least but they have only in the last year really started following through with it. Still many times when I go to register a customers reg set, they will have it messed up and I'll have to call them up and get them to flag it for our store.

DA Aquamaster:
1. Scubapro is definitely tracking individual items shipped to specific dealers.
2. They did not do so a few years ago.
3. Their system has some rules in place to flag suspicious registrations.
4. If an authorized dealer is selling under the MAP, they are going to have to take care of the registration for the customer or the customer is going to report the excess discount when they register the product.
Your experience also shows that there may be ways to circumvent adherence to certain policies but it continues to perpetuate an outdated way of doing business. Can you point to a single VALID reason as to why SP would continue in this way? Suppose a new diver, unaware of warranty and service issues, stumbles on LP's website and purchases some SP gear at a substantial discount. After they receive the gear, they go online at SP's site and find that their registration will be invalid because they didn't buy from an authorized dealer. Does this somehow endear dive consumers to your brand? The old arguments tend to be about life support equipment, or no fills when the LDS's go broke. If these arguments are true, why isn't Europe full of dead divers, as they can buy online and how can the people who run the fill stations at local quarries and such afford to operate whithout gear sales and cert classes?

I am a long time SCUBAPRO "fan" so to speak. One of the biggest attractions is the warranty. With that being said, isnt the warranty null & void if its purchased online? The other question is, how are these grey market dealers getting the product,to sell, in the first place?

awap:
I tried that yesterdy (1:30, central). I sent the following email to the "contact us" address ('swarranty@johnsonoutdoors.com') from the SP site FAQ section dealing with warrenties and online sales:

"I have located a dealer (Scubatoys in Texas) who claims to be an authorized Scubapro dealer and is offering the Mk25/S600 for sale over the internet. Is this an authorized dealer and will this regulator be covered by the Scubapro warrenty. I would appreciate your quick response.

Thank You,"

Thank you for contacting us with your warranty query. Your confidence in SCUBAPRO products is sincerely appreciated.

Scubatoys of Texas is no longer an authorized SCUBAPRO dealer. However, because this is a somewhat recent occurrence, we are honoring warranties on products purchased from Scubatoys within the next few months. Please refer to our website – wwwscubapro-uwatec.com – for future servicing information and listing of authorized dealers.

Sincerely,

Mario Valenzuela

Sales Director

SUBAPRO UWATEC - Americas

So I guess we can see some of the difference between "may not" and "will not".

Back then the company would give you a postcard to get stamped by the dealer showing you had your annual service work done .... sometimes a company would issue a plastic credit card like warranty card with your name, model and serial number on it. Guys I do have newer stuff ...... I sent in two old Dacor regulators using the Dacor/Mares trade in program and now own 2 new Mares 05 Abysses ....... this brings my total up to 9 regulators (7 different models) now rangeing in age from the 60's to those 2005 Abysses. One of these days (in about 20 years or so) I'll be unable to dive and have one hell of a sell on Ebay ....

Got a few myself, the altar:

altar.jpg

Regarding the failed on-line registrations, I got an immediate (1rst business day response) from Scubapro and they indicate the warranty cards are on the way.

So at least their tracking efforts are not making life overly difficult for the customer, they just seem to want to confirm that it was bought at an authorized dealer.

---

I still have the original warranty "credit" card for my first Scubapro Mk 3. Dealers used to just slide it through a credit card machine to imprint the information on the service slip.

mdb:
rmannix: What a great "altar", how about a list?

Maybe we can do a "show yer stuff" thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom