Scubapro online sales

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daniel f aleman:
Scubapro continues to supports LDS's because they see the demise of the LDS as a threat to agency certification of new divers; I agree on that point, at least for the foreseeable future.

Huh?? This thread is primairly about the exact opposite. That SP has created an environment where gray market sellers account for 30% of their sales! And this number was given to me by my ScubaPro Rep when they counted the number of recalled computers they replaced - and asked where they were purchased... but replaced them even if gray market since they were bending up folks like pretzels...

So it doesn't seem the demise of the LDS is much of a concern... check out aeris or atomic products on LP if you want to see companies concerned - their products aren't there... It appears that SC Johnson cares more about their sales of Drano... and if the scuba industry goes down the drain... at least it won't be clogged!

Al Mialkovsky:
You won't get a factory warrantly buying scuba pro online no matter what lies an internet site spews up.

And you'll pay 200 bucks to change the battery in your smartcom, unless you got it from a shop where the change is free.

awap:
Your statement on the warrenty issue does not seem to agree with what SP says on its online site in its Q&A section.

"""I was told that my SCUBAPRO UWATEC equipment does not come with a warranty if I purchase it through the mail or over the internet. Is this true?

SCUBAPRO UWATEC equipment purchased from sources other than a SCUBAPRO UWATEC authorized dealer may not carry the specific warranty that the United States, US territories and Canada offers. This equipment is also not covered under the Free Preferred Parts Replacement Program or Batteries For Life Program. Authorized dealers are only allowed to sell SCUBAPRO UWATEC equipment over the counter, at their retail location. If you find a mail order or internet dealer selling SCUBAPRO UWATEC equipment, you should contact us to determine if you are dealing with an authorized dealer.""""
[

If I'm reading this right Al has it exactly right.

scubatoys:
Huh?? This thread is primairly about the exact opposite. That SP has created an environment where gray market sellers account for 30% of their sales! And this number was given to me by my ScubaPro Rep when they counted the number of recalled computers they replaced - and asked where they were purchased... but replaced them even if gray market since they were bending up folks like pretzels...

So it doesn't seem the demise of the LDS is much of a concern... check out aeris or atomic products on LP if you want to see companies concerned - their products aren't there... It appears that SC Johnson cares more about their sales of Drano... and if the scuba industry goes down the drain... at least it won't be clogged!

That's true. Actually, no matter whether you bought the equipment from, the manufactures used to do the recall replacement to save any lawsuit as long as the equipment isn't a counterfeit. As I know, there was an actual case before......

In addition, SP allows the internet, mail, and phone other in some Asian countries. Even, you can order any SP equipments by using the text message on your cell phone. So, it is totally depending on the market and where you are. For example, you are a tourist and order SP regulator from your hotel room. Of course, it is from an authorized dealer and you can get register by using a phone, internet, or email. And then, you bring it back to US. It is covered by SP international warranty or not? I talked with SP USA and was told, "It is covered." LOL~~~ What kind of BS policy it is!:wink: Again, many divers are confused with the warranty with SP Free Part Program.

P.S. BTW, Larry. I only have a couple of hours for the transit so that I need to cab it over. Thanks for you offer. I don't mind a pickup truck. It sounds like my car..... :)

scubatoys:

Grey-markets concern authorized dealers selling to third-party retailers, not from consumers selling to second-hand consumers. NO COMPANY of any kind has 30% of total sales in a grey-market. If Scubapro has ANY products make the grey-market, well, that's up to Scubapro to stop if they really want to support a dealership business model, which they state; if they don't (for any reason), then they will end up in a lawsuit concerning warranties at the least. If the LDS model ends what will take it's place? Another section in a sporting goods warehouse? Dive clubs? GUE's of the world?

daniel f aleman:
If the LDS model ends what will take it's place? Another section in a sporting goods warehouse? Dive clubs? GUE's of the world?
\

Retailers with both a web and brick and mortar store, far fewer "full retail" stores, better prices, local dive clubs with compressors, companies changing their policies, the market will adapt. It has too.

daniel f aleman:
Grey-markets concern authorized dealers selling to third-party retailers, not from consumers selling to second-hand consumers. NO COMPANY of any kind has 30% of total sales in a grey-market. If Scubapro has ANY products make the grey-market, well, that's up to Scubapro to stop if they really want to support a dealership business model, which they state; if they don't (for any reason), then they will end up in a lawsuit concerning warranties at the least.
BS. The other place gray market ScubaPro goods come from the small LDS who "over-orders" to get a volume discount, then dumps the excess stock at or near cost. Again, this isn't just ScubaPro, its also Oakley sunglasses, Callaway golf clubs, Nikon cameras, the list goes on and on. I'd be surprised if there *wasn't* a 30% gray market for all these manufacturers, there's simply too much margin in the product for there *not* to be.

daniel f aleman:
If the LDS model ends what will take it's place? Another section in a sporting goods warehouse? Dive clubs? GUE's of the world?
When I went to Monterey two months ago, every third tank at the Breakwater had a Sports Chalet sticker, most definitely the big sporting goods stores in key locales will be in the scuba business esp. for things that involve repeat service like fills. Or some enterprising individual will build a business model based around quality recreational/technical fills plus other goods and services (read: instruction), check out Fill Express in Pompano some time if you don't believe me. Where the demand exists, entrepreneurs will try to fill the gap.

Besides, weren't you the guy gloating to everyone about living the the Caribbean? I've had two dive boat captains tell me that tank/weight rentals are their primary source of profitability. What do you need an LDS for?

mdb:
\
local dive clubs with compressors,

I would also expect to see companies like Air Liquide, and Air Products and even welding supply companies offering BIG 5000psi tanks of breating air, or filling SCBA and SCUBA tanks. They have the equipment already. I would expect the prices per fill to be higher, to make it worth their time (maybe $10-$12/fill).

Down here, with the commercial diving companies, there are also alternatives.

StSomewhere:
Besides, weren't you the guy gloating to everyone about living the the Caribbean? I've had two dive boat captains tell me that tank/weight rentals are their primary source of profitability. What do you need an LDS for?

My individual needs are not Scubapro's concern; they have to think industry-wide. I just wonder about the future of agency certification, it's worked remarkably well for 50 years through the LDS system, and the biggest proponents of cetification have been the equipment manufaturers - if for no other reason, liability.

Anyway, yes, I have my own compressor, here in the Caribbean... where it's warm... bikinis... warm water, 110ft vis...:wink:

This paragraph is from the SP letter quoted by dherbman. Is the highlighted section a mistake, a slip, or a statement of fact?

"All online companies that sell and make direct purchases of our product, like LeisurePro are not an authorized SCUBAPRO UWATEC dealer and SCUBAPRO UWATEC equipment obtained through channels other than SCUBAPRO UWATEC Authorized Dealers does not carry the SCUBAPRO UWATEC Limited Lifetime/Limited Warranty. If you so choose to purchase SCUBAPRO UWATEC products online, the warranty will be voided."

This is from the SP website, previously quoted here, regarding warranty of online sales product. (My comments inserted in blue)

"I was told that my SCUBAPRO UWATEC equipment does not come with a warranty if I purchase it through the mail or over the internet. Is this true?

This is how they answer a True or False question.

SCUBAPRO UWATEC equipment purchased from sources other than a SCUBAPRO UWATEC authorized dealer may not (or they may) carry the specific warranty that the United States, US territories and Canada offers. This equipment is also not covered under the Free Preferred Parts Replacement Program or Batteries For Life Program. (Clear, no may's, if's and when's, these two programs are not covered.)

Authorized dealers are only allowed to sell SCUBAPRO UWATEC equipment over the counter, at their retail location. (Clear, but what if they don’t adhere and sell online. How does it affect a customer's product warranty?) If you find a mail order or internet dealer selling SCUBAPRO UWATEC equipment, you should contact us to determine if you are dealing with an authorized dealer. (Will you then answer the question posed?)

If you have already purchased from a source other than an authorized SCUBAPRO UWATEC dealer, we would strongly recommend that you take your equipment to an authorized SCUBAPRO UWATEC dealer to have it inspected to be sure that it is in operating condition and that it is performing to correct specifications. We would also advise you to follow the SCUBAPRO UWATEC recommended service and maintenace guidelines for your product. Some retailers will offer their own warranties on our product. You may wish to contact the source from which you obtained your product to see what recourse you have concerning warranty issues."

And the answer is? Maybe it's not a simple true and false answer, but the only definitive answer given was on parts and battery programs when purchasing through a non authorized dealer.

Is this any way to pretend to answer a consumer’s, potential customer’s simple and precise question?

If there are any SP reps here, please see that your company updates this confusing mumble jumble and provides a clear, easy to understand answer. This is something which a company who truely values it’s customers would demonstrate during its exercise of normal business practice.

paulwall, your raise some good points. However, they are based on a particuliar view, which can be countered with a different perspective leaving an uncertain outcome. Let's see what SP's reply to awap's question is.

I guess the only way any of us can answer this question about warranty is purchase a ScubaPro product at ScubaToys and send in all the required paperwork ... then take it to a current ScubaPro dealer and see if they will perform work under warranty ....

Back
Top Bottom