ScubaPro MK17 Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been diving with the MK17 since it was first manufactured, and have been very impressed. As a matter of fact, I replaced all of my MK25s with MK17s.

The R295 is not the best choice for a primary second stage, as you noted, but that is not a bad reflection on the MK17. I would have probably used the title "MK17/R295 Review" since you actually dived that configuration.

Thanks for the review.

MK17s lacks beauty of MK25s' hose routing. MK19 won't be in U.S. market.

But, it is cheaper than MK25 and covers a cold water temp. range.

That's it....

I also replaced my Mk 25's with Mk 17's. For extreme cold water diving the Mk 17 is the best first stage available anywhere.

The flow rate of 177 scfm is more than adequate for any rec or tec requirement and the air delivery is first rate. I use very easy breathing D400's on mine. I have dove with a Mk 25 on one post and a Mk 17 on the other and I can detect no difference between the MK 25 and MK 17 first stages at depths well below recrational limtis with the D400 second stage.

In terms of hose routing I prefer the MK 17's for doubles use to even the Mk 20/Mk 25. If you angle the first stages about 45 degrees and cross the hoses over to the opposite side, you get very simple and clean hose routing.

DA Aquamaster:
I also replaced my Mk 25's with Mk 17's. For extreme cold water diving the Mk 17 is the best first stage available anywhere.

The flow rate of 177 scfm is more than adequate for any rec or tec requirement and the air delivery is first rate. I use very easy breathing D400's on mine. I have dove with a Mk 25 on one post and a Mk 17 on the other and I can detect no difference between the MK 25 and MK 17 first stages at depths well below recrational limtis with the D400 second stage.

In terms of hose routing I prefer the MK 17's for doubles use to even the Mk 20/Mk 25. If you angle the first stages about 45 degrees and cross the hoses over to the opposite side, you get very simple and clean hose routing.

Does this mean that assuming no bottlenecks before the first stage, if the first stage was flowing at full capacity, it would drain an aluminum 80 in less than 30 seconds at 1ATA?

Pretty much - except tank valves will not flow nearly that much.

Second stages are also limited to about 65-70 cu ft min as well and when a test like this is done it is with an open LP port on the first stage.

Where flow rate is important even with the limitations of tank valves and second stages is in reducing the lag that would otherwise occur on inhalation at depth that would in turn result in an excessive drop in the intermediate pressure which would reduce the flow rate to and ease of breathing of the second stage.

DA Aquamaster:

Aquamaster, I have a mark 11 but a r295 second stage it is not a very good breather, could i put d400 second and exspect a better breather? its supposed to be same first stage as mk 17 without enviro seal

DA Aquamaster:
The flow rate of 177 scfm is more than adequate for any rec or tec requirement and the air delivery is first rate.

177 scfm ???? According to who? Scubapro?

Try some independent tests, not even close!!!

Big IP drop on demand is not what I call "first rate air delivery".

Its not a bad reg, it gets the job done very well, just dont over hype its performance, what Scubapro say and what it does in the real world are not the same. Scubapro have always over exagerated performance on all its regs. In 1996 the MK20 was introduced with a claimed 168 scfm, in 1997 it was claimed to be 300scfm in the green dealer info booklet.

95% of what read in this industry is BS, belive what you want!!!

D.M.

So after reading the review, my question is this:

If the MK17 is "sually [paired with] MK17/S555, MK17/X650 or MK17/R295" and the "MK17/S555 and the MK17/X650 configurations are supposed to work great", why does the photo in the review show the MK17 paired with the S600?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom