• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

ScubaPro MK10 / G250 for Cave Diving

Discussion in 'Cave Diving' started by CaveSloth, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Dominick Gheesling

Dominick Gheesling Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I'm just that regular cave diver and I completely agree! I've purchased all of my regs: MK10, MK20, and G250s used. I immediately had them serviced, prior to use, by a highly reputable individual in Cave Country and never looked back, except occasionally to look at them lovingly as I think how much cash I saved and the fact that they breathe better than just about any other reg out there. Seriously, I don't like doing S-Drills because I hate breathing through someone else's crappy regs that feels like sucking gas through a straw. They breathe excellently in every body position. I have had ZERO problems/failures. I can't believe I am posting this because now I might have more competition when bidding for used regs on Ebay o_O Next time you are around some really experienced Cave divers/explorers, mention the G250 and you will see a little light spark in their eyes as they wax nostalgic about the greatest breathing 2nd stage ever produced. If you hate them, I will take them off your hands.:acclaim:

kensuf likes this.
  2. StefinSB

StefinSB Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    They will be discontinued on 10/15/2021. I heard that from a reliable source on SB.

3. rddvet

rddvet DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    i’ve heard those rumors on and off for years. I’d be willing to put $50 down that wont hapoen.

rjack321 likes this.
  4. karstdvr

karstdvr Solo Diver

# of Dives:
    I too have heard these reports, and even ran into some issues once when trying to obtain some parts. That being said I have numerous rebuilds, pistons, and springs; but honestly they are robust and don't need to a lot of service.

grantctobin likes this.
  5. karstdvr

karstdvr Solo Diver

# of Dives:
    I remember a nonscientific test done by Steve Berman, Tyler Moon, Ted Cole, and perhaps Jarrod Jablonski- it was done at the Ginnie Springs trailer, and beer may have been involved. They took a set of doubles and equalized the tanks, then isolated them by closing the isolator valve. They removed the bottom port plug from a MK10 and MK20, and placed them on each tank valve orifice. They opened both valves rapidly and simultaneously. The side with MK10 drained the tank faster than the MK20.

6. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Manta Ray

# of Dives: 500 - 999

What if the lever on one of the 250's was a touch higher?

I would have repeated it and switched the 250's and the hoses.

7. karstdvr

karstdvr Solo Diver

# of Dives:
    No 2nd stage was my understanding. It was purely a comparison of the MK20 v Mk10. No saying scientific basis,but they were trying to determine what 1st stage moved the most gas.

8. tbone1004

tbone1004 Technical Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    I wouldn't say the MK10 is "ideal" for cave diving, but that's a personal aversion to thinking that pistons, especially unsealed pistons, are ideal for anything. That said I have 6 of them, and use them on a regular basis. The g250's are certainly in the "ideal" camp. Just go buy some.

grantctobin likes this.
  9. kensuf

kensuf Cave Instructor

Dammit, now there's a lot of people pouncing on regs from ebay.

10. tbone1004

tbone1004 Technical Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    I feel the same about Poseidons.... I thankfully have a near lifetime supply.

Frogkicker likes this.