Scubapro Knighthawk or Zeagle Ranger?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should try it in a pool first or something.

As a corollary to the original question: Is one of these BCs better for a wet suite diver vs. a dry suite diver? I haven't crossed over to the dry-side, but I wouldn't want to run into a limitation later down the road. Any thoughts?

...steve...

For drysuit driving, I originally bought a Mares Synchrotech Pro, which is extremely well made and has lots of lift, but also had serious problems (insecure integrated weight system, primitive tank-holding strap, massive bulk). I looked and tried Zeagle and other BCD's (Seaquest?) but found them bulky and hard to pack, and eventually settled on a Knighthawk. It has worked very well in both drysuit and warm water diving. The cam tank strap is effetice and efficient, as is the integrated weight system, there are enough and sturdy enough D-rings for everything up to *small* pony bottles and light tools, and it is very well cut so that it fits well and is reasonably efficient in current.

It is probablly not up to really heavy commercial and technical diving uses, but for me--and perhaps for you-- it is an ideal compromise between recreational BCD's and a really heavy duty (and usually heavy and bulky) rig. I doubt that it will last 1000's of dives, but it has stood up extremely well and shown little wear (between me and the original user) over a couple of hundred.

Chad Carney:
billvb,

I also used an At Pac in the late seventies, then switched to Zeagle in the early eighties.

Now I'm the Florida Zeagle rep.

A better Zeagle BC to compare to a Night Hawk is our Stiletto. They are both tough single tank BCs and more streamlined than the Ranger or the old At Pac.

The Stiletto is a Tester's Choice travel BC, and has quickly become Zeagle's best selling BC. (The Lazer is the ladies version of the Stiletto.)

I'll bet Underwater Sports can arrange a demo dive.

Thanks for considering Zeagle.

Chad

If you have not already made your decision, I would go with the Zeagle Stiletto. I personally use the SP Accent (10 years old) and dive several times a week in an aquarium environment with the Zeagle Stiletto, a super BC. The Zeagle is more adjustable and rides like a W/BP. It really hold up in a rugged environment. Just last week we were diving in a freshwater spring and placed a diver in one because his personal BC was broken. He did not want to give it back and asked where he could get one.

Well to be honest with you. I use the Zero Tech Evolution from Coltri Sub. This is the best I ever had in my life. Find by yourself. Cheers

That's an easy decision for me... The Ranger has a life time warranty, instead of 5 years. Since the Ranger is all component made, you can replace individual pieces if you wish, either because one got damaged some how, or you just want to change it. For example, I like our Brigade, which is basically a ranger with an easier to pack bladder, and the roll down pocket. If you want, pop off the bladder and toss on a big 60 lb bladder later if you want to use it for doubles.

I also like the fact that instead of choosing from a small, med large, xl, you can customize the ranger. Maybe you're tall and thin, then medium waist with large shoulders, or you're shorter and a bit rounder, XXL waist on large shoulders, etc.

And their weight system is the best in the business. In an emergency, I don't want to have to unclip a pocket, then pull it out, and do that for each side... Oh, and throw away the pockets and buy new ones. That's how the scuba pro ones work... I like one pull of the rip cord, and I've dumped my weights (and weights only). Also much easier to put weights in and out, both on land and in the water.

We used to have them both side by side in our shop... and the actual numbers when customers came in, touched, tried on, hopped in the pool...no kidding, the zeagle out sold the scubapro 187.4 to 1. Maybe because I like it's features better, and I showed the customer the differences... maybe because depending on the configuration, you save money... but what ever the reason, it was not even a close race in our shop.

Any Zeagle or have you thought about a Dive Rite Transpac mucho versital and a soild rig.

-SC3

It has been mentioned earlier, but why aren't you considering a BP and wing for maximum versatility? Several years ago, I had a Superhawk NT or some crazy thing with pads, buckles, straps and D-rings all over the darn place. I switched to a BP and a wing appropriate for the tanks I'm diving, and have never looked back. I have a Dive Rite Stainless steel plate and 40lb and 60lb Halcyon wings. I don't have any single tanks that aren't stages, but I think Halcyon makes a better single tank wing. I haven't seen any of Tobin's wings (DSS), but I have a few other items from him and they are top notch.

Wet suit, drysuit, singles, doubles, and multiple stages can all be handled with a BP and wing. If you think you need a $600+ "tech" BC, suit yourself, but when it comes time to sell it because you want a BP/wing, don't say nobody told you how nice they are.

Go out and dive some of each if you can, but you absolutely can't go wrong with a BP/wing. I mentioned it earlier in the post, but it is VERY important that you get an appropriate wing for the diving you are doing. For a single tank, you will not need more than 30lbs of lift.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom