ScubaPro Knighthawk mods - tying up some "loose ends"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boyoconnor

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've always been surprised at the amount of loose dangly adjustment straps BCs have, and my first few times in the water I kept grabbing a strap when I was going for some other piece of equipment. With less than $10 of plastic hardware from Custom Straps, Nylon & Polypro Webbings, Metal & Plastic Buckles at Strapworks.com and a couple hours tinkering I have a much cleaner and better fitting rig. I know, the DIR guys diving backplate rigs will be saying "told you so" but this was a fun project for me.

Would like to see others mods and improvements, tips and tricks. Thx - Dack.

Upper Half:
Folded the right shoulder loop under since there's no need for an octopus with the Air2. Removed the right shoulder dump valve end and replaced it with the safety whistle which was zip tied to the inflator hose, merging two dangly bits into one. I never use the right shoulder dump anyway, I just tug on the BC inflator hose.

(NOTE: I'm going to be adding a longer cord to the whistle, so it can clip onto a strap instead of dangling there. I know it looks goofy now...)

Snipped off the center chest strap D-ring put the loose end back through and secure with keeper (cost $0.65). Cut the vertical strap D-rings and plastic welded them back around the strap. None of these I have ever adjusted once initially set.

5505432176_6cb7861eb5.jpg

Lower Half:
Swapped the waist strap left and right sides, so I can use the left strap to mount a retractor or knife. Shortened the adjustment pull and fixed it in place with a plastic keeper (cost $0.73).

Snipped off the weight pocket strap D-rings and looped the loose end through the buckle, no keeper needed. Not sure why these ever needed adjustments.

Slipped a backup flashlight in the small pocket on the right side and secured with a coil lanyard. You can barely see it peeking out, but it's out of the way then available in a split second.

5505429722_de095a2098.jpg

Adjustments:
Probably the most important change was actually adjusting the straps holding the tank plate. I'd assumed that with the waist strap pulled tight at the front that was as good as it would get. But by adjusting the straps at the rear I could remove almost all lateral movement.

At the top and bottom were two velcro loops with about an inch of play, which I solved by looping the velcro through a lower slot so there wasn't a large loop. I also added a plastic 2" to 1" reducer to the lower loop (cost $1.00) to allow a crotch strap to be threaded through in the future.

5505434794_3862d454a7.jpg

Last edited:
I, for one, think it's good to see people tinkering with their gear to achieve a more effective configuration for your diving. It shows that you are really trying to think about your diving: a small but important step to your growth as a diver.

Good luck and have fun.

Peace,
Greg

My only concern with the current state of your modded Knighthawk is:
Can the whistle be comfortably blown (reach your mouth) without activating the right shoulder dump valve?

Be careful about changing anything that might unintentionally compromise positive buoyancy at the surface.

Good luck with the rest of your modifications...

I've been teaching in a Knighthawk for about six years. I've got four BP/W setups and just thought I could make my jacket more comfortable and user friendly for me.

I replaced the plastic backplate with a 6lb. SS plate. I bought some two inch webbing and took it to my local shoe shop. I had them sew the webbing just above the two big plastic buckles so this became one less problem.

I now had two long straps, one on each side. I then weaved the webbing through the bottom of the SS plate just like a BP/W setup. I worked the webbing through the weight pockets holes.

I then went to work with my siccors and cut off the plastic buckle and velcro on the front of the jacket. I installed a couple of tri glides to keep the weight pockets from sliding around.

Removing the veclro and plastic made room for my knife just off center on my left side. I then installed a stainless steel buckle and added a two inch crotch strap.
To the untrained eye it looks completely normal.

About a year and a half ago a couple of Scuba Pro reps came by the office and were telling us that they were coming out with some tech gear, the S-Tec line.

I took them in the back and showed them the modifications I had made. Guess I was ahead of the curve.

I am going to take a look at my Knighthawk's danglers, thanks for the pictures.

Love it, glad I'm not the only one risking warranty and mockery by modding their BC's. :D
Now all you need is a teethless keeper, neoprene cement, and scrap neoprene.
Make an attachment for a crotch strap ;P

Just remember to glue it high enough so you can slip your weight belt under the BC and around he crotch strap if you keep it there.

The whistle that comes with the KH is ridiculous. For for next mod replace it with a decent storm whistle. Should only be about $3. Agree with BT that it should not be attached to the dump. For dumps you'll be fine with just the cord.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom