Scubapro Jetfin review from a splitfin user

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I switched from scubapro twin jets to Hollis F1/F2 and I love the new fins!

I love my Jets.....I wont be giving them up anytime soon...

Well I have a pair of 1970 Jet's fine for their day 40+ years ago.

In short, if I had to recommend fins to someone, I would suggest trying the jetfins. I'll be sticking with the stiff paddle fins for a while now.

Regards,
Brian
Just add Jet Spring Heel Straps and you will want to wear them all the time!

Reactions: mdb
Thanks for all the comments folks. Some made some points I'd like to reply to.

As far as knee strain goes, when I dive, I drop down, swim leisurely over to my objective, check it out for a while, then swim back and come up. For this kind of diving, I've experienced zero joint stress or pain. I'm 43 but have had a problematic knee since I was young, so it seems like I would know if there were a serious difference in knee strain between types of fins for this type of diving. For me, the jets require less strain when I'm trying to turn so I find them to be easier to kick than the splits. It certainly could be that I'll go back to splits when I get older, but if I do I will certainly miss the maneuverability of the jets.

One of these days I'll get over to the pool with both and do some 100m sprints to see how much difference there is at speed. I think that will tell me how much difference in efficiency there is for me with the different types of fins. I'll follow that up with some mile swims, as current fin reviews lack that kind of info (I'm assuming one tank will last me a mile at speed. Maybe I'll do that in the pool).

I tried a friend's Atomic splits soon after I got the Tusas and did not notice any difference. In fact he, a much more experienced diver than I, thought he like mine a bit better. Certainly try before you buy is a good motto here.

Thanks again for all the replies,
Brian

Don't toss the splits. You'll want them after your joints are shot. (generally sometime after you're 55).

flots

Well, I'm 66 and have had no urges to buy a pair of split fins. My Slipstreams and Jets are just fine.

Jets fins sucked in 1968, and they still do. Better fins than the Jet/Rocket used for overhead or technical diving include the Dive Rite EXP and the Mares Avanti Quattro.

Not sure where to put you. Maybe both?
CAK­WAF (Com­plete, Absolute Knowl­edge With­out Any Facts)
AFI­DAWAB (Any Facts I Don’t Agree With Are Bull­stuff).

Well, I'm 66 and have had no urges to buy a pair of split fins. My Slipstreams and Jets are just fine.

I always wonder how that works out. Maybe people who start older probably don't build up the muscles that maybe younger people do?

The other thing is maybe that most people switch out of the flutter kick at some point given enough experience. It is hard to get people doing any kick other than the flutter and the dolphin when they are first starting out. But people who learn younger have already switched to easier to use kicks by the time age would force changes.

Geez, no need to go back to split fins. Got knee or other problems, check out some Volos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom