scubapro galileo HUD has anyone got any experience with this dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have about 100 dives on mine. Been using one since they first came out. I really like it. I don't have a problem reading the display and the menues are really easy to scroll through and change. Some things to know about the hud...
  • It is a stand alone computer
  • It takes about 10 dives to get used to looking through the display (similar to shooting with 2 eyes open with a rifle scope)
  • You can program GPS waypoints into it for surface navigation but GPS doesn't work underwater. (Really cool for search and recovery work tho)
  • 2 different algo choices
  • Is rechargeable (get about 25 - 1 hour dives on a charge)
  • Can mount to ANY (at least havent found one it wont mount to) 2 window mask.
  • Does have bluetooth
  • Is trimix compatible
  • Multiple gas compatible
  • Screen looks great. It is OLED very clear.
  • Multiple screen choices while diving
  • Heads up nav compass works very well
  • Finally a scubapro computer you can change settings on while in dive mode
  • Best to turn the screen brightness up for day dives and wayyyy down for night dives or wreck dives
  • Syncs with transmitter easily
  • Reverse compatible with older SP transmitters.
  • If you dive say a Luna, SOL, or G2 you only need one trans for 2 computers. (Hud and wrist unit)
  • Diving in murky water doesn't change screen viz
  • Have used both a clear mask and a tinted mask with HUD, tint doesn't change screen viz
Over all really enjoyed my HUD diving experiences. But it's not for everyone.

Given the $1600 ish price tag they aren't that much more than any top of the line color screen wireless dive computer.

Happy Diving.

Thrilled to read this review.
Just hope this lasts longer than the Datamasks. I got used to them by the 2nd dive using one, unfortunately Oceanic did a crappy job when it came to making a durable device.
I read so many negative comments about the SP I was concerned about what to get after my 2 Datamask craps out.
Of course these negative comments were from non-users just like the bad reviews given to the Datamask when they came out.

Having information by just looking is so so sooo nice. yeah the alternative is to reach over and is not that difficult but is better if I don't have to reach. Specially when Im helping a lobster go into a bag.

I am thinking about getting one but do not want to give up my custom prescription mask, does anyone know if there are any alternate mounts available?

I am thinking about getting one but do not want to give up my custom prescription mask, does anyone know if there are any alternate mounts available?

At the moment there is no alternative mount. The HUD will fit other masks besides Scubapro. If your mask has a single lens you are out of luck. The first pic is an example of the single lens
images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcT8SP7_4s4RjA64mHfzmK5gqePvHcEIdbNGKQ&usqp=CAU.jpg

The mask needs to have two lens with a center between the two; for example, the Cressi Sub Focus mask (second pic, black one). I was able to mount the HUD on it.
upload_2020-10-6_23-0-4.jpeg

The mount needs to be cut/clipped (which you'll see in the instructions) to fit in the center of the mask. To secure it, two zip ties are used. The zip ties seem like a cheap solution, but I found they work quite well.

Reactions: Ana
I do like the concept but would really need to try one to make any commitment toward one.

Scubapro have had so many deals on this computer, I have to imagine that there is new one coming soon. It's not been a hot seller at all. They have been reducing the price on the HUD endlessly. I dived it twice and was underwhelmed with the experience especially having to use a compatible mask. It's supposed to compete with the Shearwater NERD - IMO if you're going to spend that kind of money, I would go with the NERD every time.

I bought mine last year in Oct. I had a DataMask before that, but it finally gave up the ghost prompting me to find a replacement. Note, I would have bought another Datamask if it was available in a heart beat.
As a rescue and recovery diver, I'm often in 0 viz water and working with both my hands. The HUD display is awesome! But there are some drawbacks.

Pros-
Handsfree
Very flexible dive profiles
GPS (Holy cow?)
Easy to see without getting in the way of the dive
'Floating' compass is awesome for doing search patterns and navigation underwater.

Cons-
First, the Scubapro desktop software for this mask is HORRIBLE! I can't believe how bad it is. As soon as I find a log software that can import from this mask, I'll never open it up again (If anyone from SCUBAPRO is reading this, PLEASE contact me!)
Second, I was doing work on a community pool drain, the pool bottom was white and it was a sunny day, the screen wasn't bright enough to see. That was a little disappointing, but that was a very unique situation and I haven't had that problem on sunny outdoor dives.
Not as intuitively layout readout as I would like (or wish I could customize it) but it's fine
I wish there was a way to slight 'tilt' the display in (to move the right side in more than the left) as it doesn't line up as perfectly as it could.

Scubapro have had so many deals on this computer, I have to imagine that there is new one coming soon. It's not been a hot seller at all. They have been reducing the price on the HUD endlessly. I dived it twice and was underwhelmed with the experience especially having to use a compatible mask. It's supposed to compete with the Shearwater NERD - IMO if you're going to spend that kind of money, I would go with the NERD every time.

I was torn between the NERD and the Galileo. The price difference didn't matter too much and while I liked the NERD and it had great reviews, I chose the Galileo for these reasons. (Reason 1,3 and 4 are probably not a concern for a rec diver however.)

1-It had GPS. This really comes in handy when we are doing body searches. Most SAR teams utilize GPS tracking to ensure areas are properly covered. With a little custom code, I can use the GPS to mark the boundaries of my search patterns and send it digitally to the command center.

2-It came with the tank transmitter (I believe it's an additional purchase for the NERD, further increasing it's higher cost)

3-I often dive fast moving currents in rivers and anything not tightly mounted to my body creates ALOT of drag. I didn't want a computer on my regulator that in a strong current would be trying to pull it out of my mouth.

4-I dive in 0 vis sometimes. I wanted little to no distance between me and the computer. While the Galileo sits right on the mask, it is still visible in these conditions. I feared that the NERD would be blurred out (like high beams on a car in the fog) in these conditions. I don't know if that is the case or not as I couldn't test it or find anyone that had experience with it. (and this is the best thing I loved about the Datamask, the computer was IN the mask.)
Hope this helps people if they are comparing the two computers.

The Moose

I'm familiar with at least 5 Dive Rescue Squads in NJ all using the NERD. No complaints from any. On the contrary, they are extremely happy. Only complaint is the price. I assume similar conditions to yours @The Moose

I bought a HUD + Transmitter + D-Mask from HUD promotion.
i have been using a G2 with transmitter for 2 years, so that i am familiar with the basic operation.
today i did the 1st dive with the HUD. I used my old Tusa mask as a mask because it is 100% fog-free. the supplied holder also fits the tusa mask.
Unfortunately, I made a mistake when pairing and had probably selected gas 2 beforehand. I assume that this is the reason why the transmitter is paired as tank 2. so unfortunately no pressure was displayed to me during the dive today. later, when reading out with logtrak, the pressure was visible as T2.
For the dive itself: the HUD can be folded up or down. you have to set the right section for your eye. so completely on the mask glass flap is not a good idea.
while diving, i found the picture very pleasant. you get used to looking under the HUD very quickly, so it doesn't bother you when diving. if you want to see the data, you automatically look up and the image is razor sharp.
all important data such as depth, diving time, no-stop time (and pressure) are displayed at 1 glance. I also find the mini compass very useful, which is definitely helpful in the blue sea or when visibility is poor. so you can see the depth and the compass at a glance.
in europe the HUD promotion price was 799 EUR. a regular A2 dive computer costs 550 EUR. In theory, you got a transmitter and a D-mask for the surcharge of 250 EUR.
Was the upgrade from G2 to HUD worth it for me?
of course I say yes ;-)
In the past diving vacation I caught myself 2-3 times where it would be very useful to have the HUD. That was ultimately the main reason. the fact that there happened to be a HUD promotion was now a bonus for me.
which situations were those?
if you are filming an eagle ray, which goes deeper and deeper, you only have 32% nitrox with you. You don't have to take your hand off the camera here, just look at the HUD. or the example mentioned above with a blue sea and you want to stay deep and on course. otherwise buddy support is required. this is how it can now be done at a glance and you have your hands free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom