SCUBAPRO G250 vs G250HP pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jardine

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I thought I was starting to learn about the G250 but I saw a post that threw me for a loop. Are these both G250HP second stages or is the first one an HP and the second one maybe a graphite? They look almost identical except the plastic vs. the metal adjustment knob.
G250HP.jpgG250.JPG

Wow! What beautiful Regs.!

The first one is one of the iterations of the G250HP while the second is a G250. The G250 had various purge cover designs, and either all metal splined adjustment knobs or plastic covered metal splined adjustment knobs, he grind used in the plastic case may have changed over the years, and the flow vane adjustment knob changed over the years, but they are all the same regulator internally and use the same basic balance chamber and poppet design (with minor variations in the balance chamber over the years). The current G250V is the re-incarnation of the G250 as the G250 was just plain better than the G250HP and a nice G250 was quite frankly starting to bring more on e-bay than you could get for a new G250HP.

Internally, your the G250 and G250HP are significantly different in terms of the plastic versus metal air barrel, the balance chamber and the adjustment knob and micro adjust feature on the G250HP. Given that the G250 lacks the micro adjust, the spring tolerances are much more precise on the G250 and the QA standards are necessarily higher as is the production cost of the G250's metal air barrel - but it is a much better second stage in my opinion as both a reg tech and cave diver.

Thanks DA, I had thought that the G250HP showed the HP on the diaphram cover but when I saw this one, I began to question what I thought I had learned. By what I have read, I would prefer to get the regular G250 with a metal air barrel. So I will keep a look out for the regular G250.

---------- Post Merged at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:21 PM ----------

Okay so I kept looking around and found this picture. It appears to me then that this is an original G250 but with the plastic knob instead of a metal one. You can see that metal stem underneath and the plastic knob is a different shape than the one in the G250HP picture I posted above. (If I'm not mistaken)

G250 Platic Knob.JPG

Yep, that's a G250.

There are many G250 configurations going back to 1986 with the first design in the USA. Since then, there have been over 20 various cosmetic and design changes, including the G250 HP and now the current G250V (vintage).
Also, there was a short period of time where the G250 was still being built in the USA and in Italy which is why some covers will not fit well on all G250 bodies.
The G250HP was designed with an all plastic adj knob, plastic inlet tube, and two different front covers that are almost identical. The Italian G250 started with a metal adj knob with the plastic knurled end (your final photo).

Is it possible to retrofit a metal air barrel into a G250HP?

Yes, which looks like what was done in your original picture with the G250HP cover and the old G250 metal adj knob.

Back
Top Bottom