Scubapro G250-Can't Exhale, Intake works fine??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My first post in SB, and I have a question about this G250
that I just bought at an auction. Cosmetically the reg is in great condition. The purge works fine and there are no leaks. But
I can't exhale through the mouthpiece. ???

Thanks--a 10 second bath and the valve is free-regulator works fine!

What a great start to using this forum . . . thanks again!

You may want to try sucking back hard on it. It should not 'back' leak. The exhalation valve is a small silicone disk covering the exhalation hole. It's not unusual for them to stick a little when they dry out after a dive. Generally a sharp puff blows them open. Sucking in checks for nicks or debris over the sealing surfaces.

Thanks for the information. I also followed previous suggestion to soak the regulator
in warm water, and this worked. So, I will add your advice to the fix!

Thanks again!

if the exhaust valve had stuck that badly, you want to check the condition. if it looks dried out or gummy, it is time to replace it.

A bad exhaust valve can lead to carbon dioxide buildup in the regulator, which can lead to headaches and even passing out. It's worth it to make sure your regulator was serviced by an authorized ScubaPro technician/facility, as they have the expertise, the tools, and the parts to ensure your regulator is ready to go, in every way.

A bad exhaust valve can lead to carbon dioxide buildup in the regulator, which can lead to headaches and even passing out. It's worth it to make sure your regulator was serviced by an authorized ScubaPro technician/facility, as they have the expertise, the tools, and the parts to ensure your regulator is ready to go, in every way.

That's pretty heavy handed statement, and mostly physiologically inaccurate.

If the valve is stuck, you can't breathe at all and you aren't going to dive unless you are terminally stupid.
If it's leaky, you are going to be sucking water while breathing. If it's really bad, you aren't going to do the dive unless you are similarly stupid.
If it's mild....well it's an annoyance, but you aren't going to die with that issue, OR get CO2 buildup. You won't be too happy though.

In general, neither of these situations will lead to CO2 buildup except the first scenario which will resolve itself before you get 10' deep. Not being able to breathe at all tends to do that.

Glad to hear you scored a nice reg, presumably at a great price if it was at auction.

My 2 PSI: Service the reg, or have it serviced. If the exhaust valve gummed up and stuck, its condition is suspect. At the very least, have someone qualified (which in my mind includes, but is not limited to, SP dealers and SP-trained techs) inspect it before using it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom