Scubapro G2 or Perdix AI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately you will find very little support for the G2 on SB for no other reason that SW is THE preferred and recommended brand here. (I use one too). The G2 is a fine computer and I’ve now seen many satisfied G2 divers on my travails. But:You’ll get very little of that SUPPORT here. You’re tilting against windmills on SB. Seek advice elsewhere.

My reply was pertaining to the succeding answers, thank you for yours! :)

I actually had an eon but i wasn’t a fan of it’s visibility underwater especially under direct sunlight.

will be making a difficult choice soon between the Perdix AI or SP G2, your inputs would help a lot. I’m currently a DM planning on taking Tech soon. Thanks guys!

The G2 is a fine dive computer and I know many divers that use it and they like it a lot. However you said yo wanted to go Tec and that is where the challenge is. The G2 uses a proprietary algorithm (ZH-L16 ADT MB PMG) that does not match up with any offline deco plannng software.

Where the offline planning software uses gradient factors, you will be trying to match the appropriate Microbubble level. You will be running various plans using different MB levels to get a similar match to a standard ( non-proprietary) algorithm generated stop s hedule. None of this means the G2 can’t be used, It does add some extra work when planning. If you always dive in a team of G2 divers, the planning will be easier and consistent if you use the computer for all planning, but you lose some of the nice features found in desktop planning software applications like MultiDeco. It would be nice if Scubapro provided a desktop planner similar to Suunto. At least with Suunto you can do some offline planning using the same algorithm as the dive computer.

Ensure your G2 calculated dive plan is not more conservative than your actual dive plan. Dive your plan and the G2 algorithm will likely never give you a mandatory stop that your dive plan does not have. Even the G2 manual tells you the dive computer is not the primary plan to follow on technical dives.

The Shearwater uses non-proprietary algorithms that allow the actual and computer calculated plans to match very closely if followed, and that is the primary reason it is so strong in the technical diving market.

I'll behave.
basically as mentioned above.
Proprietary implementation of ZHL-16 which you don't have the ability to predict quite as well as you do with Shearwater. It's better than Suunto, but the Shearwater is better. What I really don't like about it is that it likes to change the algorithm based on heart rate, skin temp, SAC rate, and water temp. The only one of which should be factored in is skin temp, but even then we don't really know how or why, so that's a BIG con in my book.

Screen layout on the Shearwater is a lot better and gives you the info that you need up front, and is easy to switch to the other stuff. The G2 screen is REAL busy.

Rechargeable battery-I'm not really against it, but I would have personally sacrificed the dive time to go with a AA. Cuts the dive time in half, but I think it's worth it.

I think 3 buttons is easier/better than 2 when setting up, but in the water I've never really wanted 3. I do personally prefer physical buttons to piezo buttons though and like that they are recessed, but do not like the ergonomics of top buttons vs. side buttons

I used Uwatec computers for a lot of years. I started with an Aladin Pro in 1995 and I still have a Tec 2G that stays in gauge mode. In 2008 I bought a rebreather with a Shearwater GF on it. I sold that for a Pursuit, sold the Pursuit for a Predator, and sold the Predator and I now have a Petrel 1 and a Petrel 2. I don’t use the Perdix because I have external monitoring on my CCR. Shearwater has provided exceptional customer service, and the firmware updates that keep computers with the latest and greatest is really nice. The screens are easy to read on the SW. I briefly scrolled through the menus on a G2 last week and the font is slightly smaller in the setup menu. I did not see the dive screen, nor did I dive with it.
The other thing that turned me off on the Uwatec/Scubapro is their divelog software and the fact that if you can’t get their crappy unsupported software to work, it is difficult to move on to another supported dive log. You can find some recent banter on this subject in other places on this forum, but I was basically downloading from my Tec 2G in gauge mode and getting very limited dive information when I was wearing a Shearwater product that was tracking my CCR/Trimix/Deco information and I wasn’t using it. That is a bit off topic, but it is something to consider. Shearwater has a good logging program but they also allow for their data to be transferred directly into many other programs with no issues. I’m using the Mac-Dive desktop and iOS version and I can download from the Petrel 2 directly to my phone or laptop/computer.

One more vote for Perdix. And one more reason: service and support. If the unthinkable happens and the unit needs service, it goes to people who care about your safety and about the company they support.
Dive-TRONIX (USA repair facility) communicates, listens, repairs, refits, advises, and supports Shearwater divers like no other company with whom I've dealt. Their involvement is another reason to trust and select Shearwater products.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom