scubapro equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HNITSUJ

Contributor
Reaction score
I am new to diving. Just about certified. I've been going to my local shop here on Long Island. He's been very helpful and his prices are good, he's even beaten leisure Pro without any bargaining. He is a Scuba Pro dealer. When you mention that brand in other shops, the most common reaction is "you lke to spend money". I know Scubapo is expensive but is it really good stuff? Naturally, my dive shop swears by it and I own some of it and it seems good. Other competitors who are not Scubapro dealers have other things to say. Any opinions?

we have two of them around here. BC's are well constructed, but some feel that other brands give a bit more in features.

Scubapro is excellent equipment. Far superior to most other lines.

WW

That maes me feel a bit better. I have spent alot of money on Scubapro equipment. I trust my dive shope, I've known him for a while. They seem to completely back thei eqpment if bough from a dealer, and so far, wat I have used works very well.

Agree with WW. IMO ScubaPro has the best overall line of gear, top to bottom, of any single manufacturer.

You also getting excellent pricing if the LDS is matching LPs price since ScubaPro stuff can get pricey.

One other thing, if an LDS is knocking something they don't sell, don't be surprised, many of them will diss the competitors lines, in an attempt to sell you the line they do sell.

Welcome to the sport, I too am new to diving, my local dealer is a SP dealer . I looked all around prior to buying equipment and even his competitors said the only reson they don't carry SP is because there was already a SP dealer for the area. During my searching I really didn't find anyone with a serious gripe about SP other than it's $$. Top of the Line equipment usually costs more.

I may not have always been happy with my choices but I've always been happy with my SP equipment. (if that makes sense?).

hope this helps,
and again welcome to the board, there are a lot of really nice people around with excellent advice for us beginers.

-Crispy

gedunk once bubbled...
Agree with WW. IMO ScubaPro has the best overall line of gear, top to bottom, of any single manufacturer.

You also getting excellent pricing if the LDS is matching LPs price since ScubaPro stuff can get pricey.

One other thing, if an LDS is knocking something they don't sell, don't be surprised, many of them will diss the competitors lines, in an attempt to sell you the line they do sell.

And then again some diss the lines they don't sell because they don't like them which may be why they don't sell them. Who said the chicken came first?

I hate SP because I have tried to do business with them but that doesn't change the fact that I have seen a bunch of divers cussing their regs for free flowing in cold water.

Had a guy in the other night with his SP regs in a bucket wanting to buy my old Sherwood rentals because the SP regs won't hold air long enough to let him finish mapping the cave he's working on. I will add that I don't know why the SP's are leaking and SP won't let me service them so it isn't likely I'll find out.

There you go another LDS dissing a brand he doesn't sell. I'm glad I didn't sell these regs though cause this guy is pissed!

One equipment service problem aside, I can't say I have any complaints about the quality of my SP gear.

OTOH, the pricing is ridiculous, as others have noted. SP recently announced price reductions, though, and SP gear is available online at even better prices. As usual, be aware of potential warranty problems for items like regs and BCs. I can't imagine anyone being concerned about warranty issues on items like masks, though.

There seems to be consensus that Apeks regs are equivalent to SP's, based on user experience, but for a better price.

Of course, I don't recommend SP BCs, but that's a discussion for a different thread.

:wink:

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

And then again some diss the lines they don't sell because they don't like them which may be why they don't sell them. Who said the chicken came first?

I hate SP because I have tried to do business with them but that doesn't change the fact that I have seen a bunch of divers cussing their regs for free flowing in cold water.

Had a guy in the other night with his SP regs in a bucket wanting to buy my old Sherwood rentals because the SP regs won't hold air long enough to let him finish mapping the cave he's working on. I will add that I don't know why the SP's are leaking and SP won't let me service them so it isn't likely I'll find out.

There you go another LDS dissing a brand he doesn't sell. I'm glad I didn't sell these regs though cause this guy is pissed!
Morning Mike!

Being in business myself, i've always thought more good came from emphasizing the positives of what i do sell, not the negatives (true or not) of what i don't sell. I have seen LDS owners, time and time again, diss products just because they don't sell them. No logic behind the dissing at all. Never said you did that Mike but don't defend people who do. They are out there.

I'm not suggesting you recommend something that doesn't work in a specific situation. I agree that SP regs, in general, do not perform as well as some other choices in cold water. I particularly don't like the Air-2 as i have seen countless free-flows from those things in cold water.

What i said was, i thought SP was an excellent choice from top to bottom, eg, masks, suites, regs, BCs, fins, etc. That was not intended to mean everything they sell, fits every application. IMO few single manufacturers can match the combined quality and selection of the entire SP line. None of that has anything to do with how they chose to do business with their reps.

Oh and by the way, i don't own or dive any SP gear. Opinion is based on diving with a lot of other people who do own SP gear and one LDS's that i teach for who has all SP for their rental gear. IMO, it is good quality stuff.

Back
Top Bottom