ScubaPro Annual Service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubapro maintains a database of serial numbers covered under the Parts for Life program, and your new LDS can login and check it. Make sure you time it right though (within 2 weeks of the anniversary date), because they're getting ridiculously strict about when you're covered and when you're not.

Its pretty sad in this highly competitive retail economic environment that SP is jerking existing customers around so much. It would be so easy to either 1) price the kits at something close to their true value, like maybe about $2-$5 each, then just charge everyone for them, or 2) make it a true 'parts for life' program and just give the stupid 10 cent pieces of plastic to any customer that can show that they bought the regulator new at a dealer, without any questions, conditions, or B.S.

Don't they realize how bad this makes them look?

Its pretty sad in this highly competitive retail economic environment that SP is jerking existing customers around so much. It would be so easy to either 1) price the kits at something close to their true value, like maybe about $2-$5 each, then just charge everyone for them, or 2) make it a true 'parts for life' program and just give the stupid 10 cent pieces of plastic to any customer that can show that they bought the regulator new at a dealer, without any questions, conditions, or B.S.

Don't they realize how bad this makes them look?

A PFL program is designed to bring the customer into a shop annually so he can be "serviced". Without the special conditions and elevated parts prices, it would not be as effective.

A PFL program is designed to bring the customer into a shop annually so he can be "serviced". Without the special conditions and elevated parts prices, it would not be as effective.

How many people would actually choose to service their own regs over having them serviced? Certainly technical divers would but they are doing it now. I don't think the average Joe or Jane would.

The idea is to bring the customer into the shop, and the way they are running it now, it does not work that way. Also, the way it was working before the computer registration started, Scubapro would decide the customer was not eligible a couple months after the reg was already serviced and not send replacement parts to the dealer, so the dealers got stuck for the cost.

Now, the dealer gets stuck less for parts, but on the other hand dealers now have to deal with unhappy customers who now have no real incentive to bring the reg into the shop at all. It's a bad deal for all involved - even Scubapro, although I suspect they can't look far enough past the short term savings to see that.

The problem also that is pissing people off is that most regs just don't need to be rebuilt annually. An inspection annually to maybe adjust the IP and check cracking pressures is all that's needed and it is not going to hurt the average diver if that's not done. And thanks to the net mroe divers are finding that out and seeing the racket that annual rebuilds are for many.

How many people would actually choose to service their own regs over having them serviced? Certainly technical divers would but they are doing it now. I don't think the average Joe or Jane would.

Good question.

What if:

1.) Annual Service Kits were hanging on the walls of dive shops,
2.) Tools and IP gauges displayed in the glass display cases alongside the shiney regulators and dive knives, and
3.) Factory repair manuals & bulletins sat right next to the dive manuals and magazines, and
4.) Weekend Repair classes were offered?

I think the precentage, including "average Joes and Janes", would bump upwards a bit once the "mystery" surrounding reg servicing was removed. Maybe not much, but a bit. Probably the same folks who are already comfortable and mechanically inclined enough to do minor repairs on their homes, autos and other sports equipment would be likely candidates.

Just daydreaming.... by a very "Average Joe" who services his own gear.

Best wishes.

I remember reading years ago that warranties are made to sell products not to service them. I often wonder what percentage of regulators sold by Scubapro are covered under parts for life? I am sure it drops off substantially after a few years as people give up diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom