ScubaPro Annual Service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've wondered what percentage of dive gear actually gets dove.

It seems to me that the vast majority of gear gets bought, dove a few times and then stored in someones attic until it finally pops up, old and yellowed, on Craigslist or eBay.

Good question.

What if:

1.) Annual Service Kits were hanging on the walls of dive shops,
2.) Tools and IP gauges displayed in the glass display cases alongside the shiney regulators and dive knives, and
3.) Factory repair manuals & bulletins sat right next to the dive manuals and magazines, and
4.) Weekend Repair classes were offered?

I think the precentage, including "average Joes and Janes", would bump upwards a bit once the "mystery" surrounding reg servicing was removed. Maybe not much, but a bit. Probably the same folks who are already comfortable and mechanically inclined enough to do minor repairs on their homes, autos and other sports equipment would be likely candidates.

Just daydreaming.... by a very "Average Joe" who services his own gear.

Best wishes.

Just think how much money the dive shop could make selling the diver the equipment and training.

---------- Post Merged at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:46 PM ----------

It seems to me that the vast majority of gear gets bought, dove a few times and then stored in someones attic until it finally pops up, old and yellowed, on Craigslist or eBay.

Given the number of Mark 20s I see on Ebay without the recall done I would say you are right.

---------- Post Merged at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:46 PM ----------

The problem also that is pissing people off is that most regs just don't need to be rebuilt annually. An inspection annually to maybe adjust the IP and check cracking pressures is all that's needed and it is not going to hurt the average diver if that's not done. And thanks to the net mroe divers are finding that out and seeing the racket that annual rebuilds are for many.

I remember reading on one manufacturer's site where they did just that. You brought the reg in yearly for inspection and it was rebuilt every other year.

If I change LDS is my free parts annual service still covered?
I believe MaverickNH's post was answered in the first post by oly5050user " ys as long as it shows up as ok for parts on sp site and facility doing service is sp dealer "

---------- Post Merged at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:08 PM ----------

I believe MaverickNH's post was answered in the first post by oly5050user " ys as long as it shows up as ok for parts on sp site and facility doing service is sp dealer "

---------- Post Merged at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:08 PM ----------

I believe MaverickNH's post was answered in the first post by oly5050user " yes as long as it shows up as ok for parts on sp site and facility doing service is sp dealer "

Sorry for the repeated posts - it was a computer error. I was trying to correct the qoute to yes.

However, I guess my computer was just responding to all the posts that were " Off Topic "

Last edited:

I recently bought a new-in-box Conshelf 21 that had never seen the water. It was originally purchased, in the early nineties, by a man as a Christmas gift for his wife. He was hoping she would learn to dive and go diving with him. It went onto a closet shelf a stayed there until it was finally offered for sale. I bought it, inspected it, and took it diving. I replaced the plastic second stage with a really nice, all-metal Conshelf second I got from Luis. It's really a nice reg.

I believe beaverdivers' posts were needlessly repetitive, starting with the 13th post through the 35th post.

However, I guess my computer was just responding to all the posts that were " Off Topic "

Obvious passive aggressiveness is obvious.

Wow Beaver, it looks like one of your circuits got fried...must have been all the "off topic" posts got you riled up.:wink:

I''m suprised he didn't jump in talking about how they are a platinum scubapro dealer and that they can look this information up and service the regs for them.

Then again, I guess they are more into selling scubapro not servicing it. ( which ties back to my dry scuba gear comment )

I''m suprised he didn't jump in talking about how they are a platinum scubapro dealer and that they can look this information up and service the regs for them.

Then again, I guess they are more into selling scubapro not servicing it. ( which ties back to my dry scuba gear comment )
Scubapro packages their regs in "beginner", "intermediate" and "advanced" packages with the intent to sell the same diver 3 different reg packages in a fairly short time as they advance in their career. By design, 2 out of 3 of those regs will either fall into disuse or be sold/passed on to a non original owner and will thus not require FPFL.

In contrast when I started diving in the mid 1980's Scubapro was all about selling you a reg that you really could use for a lifetime without outgrowing it, FPFL was not hard to maintain, could be stretched over a year at the dealer's discretion and could be rehabilitated even after several years of not getting it serviced. IMHO, that initial quality and performance in the regulator, the value and flexibility in the FPFL program and the guarantee that your regulator was not going to become obsolete over your life time (not it's lifetime), and if it did, that it would be replaced free of charge, more than warranted the higher (often much higher) purchase price of Scubapro regs.

Scubapro's gotten away from that and at this point I am hard pressed to see any justification for higher prices.

How many people would actually choose to service their own regs over having them serviced? Certainly technical divers would but they are doing it now. I don't think the average Joe or Jane would.

I completely agree with yo9u that most divers would pay someone to have the service done. The question is who and how often. Right now there is little choice as the mfgr limits parts distribution. If parts were available more like they are in the auto industry, I think you would see a big change that would hurt some LDSs as they would have to compete with competent, cost-effective service from service providers independent of the mfgr. And I believe divers and good service providers would benefit.

I recently bought a new-in-box Conshelf 21 that had never seen the water. It was originally purchased, in the early nineties, by a man as a Christmas gift for his wife. He was hoping she would learn to dive and go diving with him. It went onto a closet shelf a stayed there until it was finally offered for sale. I bought it, inspected it, and took it diving. I replaced the plastic second stage with a really nice, all-metal Conshelf second I got from Luis. It's really a nice reg.

I had a Conshelf 21 I recently sold here. I bought the regulator for $99 back in 1991, over the objections of my scuba instructor. Less than a year after buying it a friend of mine gave me his Sherwoods. When I asked the instructor which was better he said the Sherwoods, so I used them. The Conshelf 21 was in mint condition when I sold it. I don't even think they had 25 dives on them.

---------- Post Merged at 05:04 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:56 AM ----------

I completely agree with yo9u that most divers would pay someone to have the service done. The question is who and how often. Right now there is little choice as the mfgr limits parts distribution. If parts were available more like they are in the auto industry, I think you would see a big change that would hurt some LDSs as they would have to compete with competent, cost-effective service from service providers independent of the mfgr. And I believe divers and good service providers would benefit.

I think the model of a local dive store is dead and that most manufacturers don't want to admit it. As in most other products you get better price and selection purchasing mail order.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom