Info Scubapro Announces the new updated MK17 first stage, the MK17 EVO 2!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You just have to get your own set and play with it to figure it all out genius boy :)

I don’t think I can afford to spend any more on regulators, and I have too many already 🙈

I am looking forward to your and Lexvil’s reviews when they are eventually released though. 😊

As coils were lost, the ability for the spring to travel would have decreased, not allowing the pin to push the seat far enough.

One other comment … the travel distance of the HP seat in a diaphragm regulator between closed and fully open is really small … a few millimetres at most. The travel range is within the flexibility range of the main diaphragm which is not very elastic in diaphragm regulators. So … the travel distance required of the spring is equally small.

The size of the spring is needed to achieve consistency of the force exerted, its not indicative of the travel distance or compression.

In fact, during operation, the spring in a diaphragm regulator doesn’t compress more than when the regulator is first pressurised. It works by expanding to open the valve and then returning to its original compressed position.

[..]
The size of the spring is needed to achieve consistency of the force exerted, its not indicative of the travel distance or compression.
[...]

And I think you nail it with this comment. I guess they couldn't achieve the consistency over the compression range that was needed and that is why a second spring was added. I should have been clearer in my previous comments, that consistency over the compression range in question is important.
The travel alone is trivial to achieve, even with just one coil, or a thousand for that matter.

Like I mentioned before, the two springs sit between the same two surfaces. Therefore their forces must add up at all times. The smaller spring can't just "bypass" the main bias spring to allow the diaphragm disc to be pushed down and therefore react to IP drops faster. That is unless the diaphragm disc is not what I expect it to be and is not essentially a rigid disc anymore.

I am looking forward to your and Lexvil’s reviews when they are eventually released though. 😊

I'd bet that @rsingler and @lexvil will have their reviews much sooner than I will and will be much more thorough than my review :wink:

It might be just flying over my head and/or I’m not as smart as I think/ or I’m just slow today , but isnt the whole thing with the transmitter (transpiston I mean) and the 2 springs what they did exactly moving from mk19 to the Evo?
(I’d have to cry help @rsingler since how I learned about this was from reg geeks 1)

What is different here (beyond the IP range)? Or what am I missing?

It might be just flying over my head and/or I’m not as smart as I think/ or I’m just slow today , but isnt the whole thing with the transmitter (transpiston I mean) and the 2 springs what they did exactly moving from mk19 to the Evo?
(I’d have to cry help @rsingler since how I learned about this was from reg geeks 1)

Just from casual observation this looks to be more of a fixed port mk19 at that end but having no real info to go on, who knows.

"But what is it FOR?"

"To SELL, silly!"

Yeah, you are absolutely right! In fact all parts, excluding the body and rotating swivel, are exactly the same as they are on the MK19 EVO. It is an MK19 EVO minus the swivel, I'm not entirely sure how I missed that, great spot!

Coulda just called it mk19Eco or compact— I’m still not over the name, 17Evo2 is just too confusing
Not that I’m any good with branding strategies 😅
Atleast now the _current_ 17 & 19 will (hopefully) share the same kit like the OGs

Coulda just called it mk19Eco or compact— I’m still not over the name, 17Evo2 is just too confusing
Not that I’m any good with branding strategies 😅
Atleast now the _current_ 17 & 19 will (hopefully) share the same kit like the OGs

The current Mark 17 is the 17 Evo, well, until they put the Evo 2 in a catalog and who is to say they may not give us Amurikans the darn thing anyways :(. You must not keep track of camera models :wink:, especially OM Systems, talk about confusing, like OM1Mark 2 III IV, like what? The Mark 19 of course has a turret that makes it as big as a battleship and nearly as heavy, so without a turret it could not be a 19? In which case it would be the Mark 19 Evo 2 Compact 1! WTH!

Scubapro, would you just please give me a Mark 11 Evo Ti please and put a titanium air barrel in the G260 and I will be happy. If you did, does anyone need a kidney? I am tired of hauling around boat anchors.Call it whatever you want. A sealed diaphragm regulator in anything but the very coldest water, why??? The only thing exposed is the spring and I like seeing that pretty blue Evo coated spring :).

Back
Top Bottom