Scubapro 109

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Packhorse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently won an auction for a MK2 DIN and a 109 reg.
The MK2 had just been serviced and I have got a G250 spring and popet for the 109.
Now Im thinking of rechroming the 109 and wonder if anyone else has done this.
How good did it come out? are there any concerns with the treads or is the chrome layer to thin to cause a problem?
Any one tried gold plating one?

SP made a very small run of 109's that were factory gold plated. A couple years ago I saw a gold plated knockoff 109 on e-bay and considered having some plated as it still looked very nice and for the price it brought it was probably worth the cost of having a few of them gold plated.

I did a bit of research and discovered that brass can be failry easily gold plated, but that process is also not very durable (think cheap gold plated rings and watches that turn your finger green when the plating wears off). To get good results that last you need to use a process of plating with copper (if I remember correctly), then silver, and then gold. I found a company in Denver that advertised doing custom gold plating with a suitable process and contacted them for a quote, but I never got a response and never pursued it farther.

I'm still semi interested in having a Mk 10 R109 gold plated as it would be fun to have on the next carribean trip mostly to irritate the normal "look at me" crowd with their over priced titanium regs.

I have also considered having a Phoenix Royal Aquamaster gold plated as it would look really sharp with the black and gold custom labels that are available for them - but that's a lot of metal to plate and would probably cost more than I want to spend on a reg I'd still want to use.

DA, et al,

What do you think about removing the chrome plating, polishing the brass and applying a lacquer top coat? Like a brass musical instrument. This would be on the external covering only.

c

I'm still semi interested in having a Mk 10 R109 gold plated as it would be fun to have on the next carribean trip mostly to irritate the normal "look at me" crowd with their over priced titanium regs.

You are an evil person DA.

I love your idea.

Me too..."Why it's a Gold Plated Classic, didn't you know that?"

c

I like that! :rofl3:

To the OP, a good plating shop that has done any regulator parts before will coat the threads if they are doing any build up plating …like the sometimes they may build up with a copper layer. The temporary coating is to prevent any built up of excess plating material.

For more info I recommend this thread in the Vintage Double Hose forum:
Vintage Double Hose :: View topic - CHROME....This thread is about CHROME

The thread started over a year ago but it is still active and you are welcome to ask questions. One of the members that have answered some of the questions has experience doing chrome plating.

I'll bet you could do even better with a can of spray paint - perhaps an aqua blue or the gold flake.

Damn, I may have to dig out one of my nastier 109s and give it a shot. It would probably go well with the BCD I'm going to make from an old hard pack using a swimming pool tube for a wing.

I'll bet you could do even better with a can of spray paint - perhaps an aqua blue or the gold flake.

Damn, I may have to dig out one of my nastier 109s and give it a shot. It would probably go well with the BCD I'm going to make from an old hard pack using a swimming pool tube for a wing.

Is that swimming pool tube clear plastic with sea horses and fish on it? I want one of those too....brass coloured 109 with a candy cane adjustment knob....

c

Is that swimming pool tube clear plastic with sea horses and fish on it? I want one of those too....brass coloured 109 with a candy cane adjustment knob....

c

I don't want to have to buy one unnecessarily so I'm hoping to find one on the side of the road when it warms up. Otherwise, I guess I'll just have to steal one from some little kid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom