ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daveo957:
i just read about how to spot a newbie diver...who cares, everyone here started new at one point what would possess you to point out if someone is wearing splitfins or neoprene mask straps or a particular brand of gear, does it make you feel like a cooler diver if you can point out what you consider wrong

these types of discussions are usually in jest, and they involve new divers poking a bit of fun at themselves and each other as well ...

compare that to the hundreds of posts in reply to new diver's questions (about masks, tanks, whatever). people do go way out of their way here to help new divers ...

If this is what this site is about that you guys are the minority, and soon will be talking to just yourselfs.

well, is it? have you had a time to look around, ask questions, see what this site is about?

you may be jumping to conclusions there :wink:

Is this in the correct forum? :popcorn:

Dude some of us enjoy the lighter side of this joint. . .

Daveo957:
When I first came across this site I thought cool a place to exchange ideas and read about others experiences, but the more i read the more im statrting to the think alot of the people here (not all) need to do more diving and less internet surfing, what sparked me to write this was a post i just read about how to spot a newbie diver...who cares, everyone here started new at one point what would possess you to point out if someone is wearing splitfins or neoprene mask straps or a particular brand of gear, does it make you feel like a cooler diver if you can point out what you consider wrong on a new diver...it may be just me but thats wrong and will turn people off of this site, I dont caim to be anything more i dont flash around my number of dives my certifications and i dont think any one should, thats what those threads seem like a bunch of divers who think they are above others.. not cool.. and there have been other threads in the past that have made me question why i even bother reading this stuff for instance the lady who was "so sick" of people doing shallow dives with Nitrox stickers on there tanks...there can be many reasons its not hurting you mind your own buisness....one of the best things about this sport is the people i have met along the way, i have never once thought of making my self seem higher than others by flaunting my diving style / gear, or putting down thiers , If this is what this site is about that you guys are the minority, and soon will be talking to just yourselfs.

Dude, IMOO maybe you need a little valium in your diet, as a newbie diver, I have found some great friends and great advise! I look at it as constructive criticism. If you don't like what someone has to criticise you about, find someone that you can see as a mentor and PM them. I do not mean to offend you, just a little friendly advise:D

shellim123:
Dude, IMOO maybe you need a little Valium in your diet, as a newbie diver, I have found some great friends and great advise! I look at it as constructive criticism. If you don't like what someone has to criticize you about, find someone that you can see as a mentor and PM them. I do not mean to offend you, just a little friendly advise:D

There I corrected your spelling :D

I was of the impression that about 99% of us were just having fun in that thread.:confused:

fairybasslet:
:rofl3: Comrade Stroke. Too funny.

Oh man, I just ignore the ignorant posters. I'd have an ulcer if I like the idiots get to me. There's way too much good stuff here to worry about the dregs.
I think you mean let .:cowboy: :thumb:

Daveo957:
what sparked me to write this was a post i just read about how to spot a newbie diver
Did you actually read that thread, or just jump directly to being bothered by it? As per the original post (assuming you mean the 'orange shovel' thread), it was started by a new diver looking to learn from common mistakes so that he could avoid wasting his money on gear he was likely to later decide was useless. It wasn't about experienced divers looking down on anyone, or trying to belittle newbies.

covediver:
I agree. I have not read the thread you refer to, I think it was the one about divings equivalent of the orange poop shovel for spotting a newbie. As a newbie I would be insulted, because as a years long backpacker I did carry such a tool for in those days it was considered impolite not to bury your poop, but I digress.
It also wasn't meant to say hikers shouldn't bury their poop, but that buying a shovel that didn't work any better than a free stick was a waste of money. It strikes me as strange that those least familiar with content are often those most bothered by it. As a newbie you'd be insulted by someone suggesting that your purchases were typical of the sorts of things a newbie would buy? That seems odd to me... you must be easily insulted.

JGBrown:
This shovel is one of those Good Ideas that while it does do exactly what is advertised, is usually ditched by the 3rd trip, because a stick works just as well and is therefore a waste of money.
So what bits of dive gear are like the orange shovel, totally functional but not needed, although they seem rational to have as a beginner.

And, after all, the OP DID ask for our opinions on what piece of gear both brands you as new and will turn out to be useless . . .

As a new diver, I found this site incredibly informative, and I was struck (and still am) by the patience and kindness of people who answer the same questions over and over again, as they did mine. There is some fantastic information in the archives here, and there are some beautifully articulate or hysterically funny writers as well (check out ClayJar's story of his backplate, or any of HBDiveGirl's SoCal dive reports, or almost anything Doc Intrepid has ever written).

There are some jerks from time to time. There's misinformation, and there's certainly some almost unintelligible writing. But overall, there's a ton of value here.

I can understand how the 'shovel' and 'dork' threads can be misinterpreted as elitist mocking of newbies (and to be honest that is how I initially reacted to the dork thread... until I read more).

I also understand that I am still getting used to the culture here, and once I understood that those threads were making fun of everyone (and fun in a good sense) I thought they were some of the funniest posts I have ever seen (despite the fact that nearly every scuba item I own was mentioned twice).

I haven't begun contributing much yet since I am so new and spending most of my time learning, but I have been very impressed with the level of helpfulness of posters here. I have been able to find answers to almost all of my questions (though I haven't been able to post many threads since I usually find another thread that addresses my questions).

My advice to anyone that sees the teasing as malicious is to read the thread in its entirety (to see that most admit to one or more orange items) and read this thread about the dangers of trying on wetsuits... I could relate to almost every mishap and I haven't laughed so hard in recent history...

Back
Top Bottom