ScubaBoard Invasion Central 2025 Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My kids' first 2 dive trips were to Culebra and Bonaire.
Melissa and Morgan missed out on the joy of cold MA and ME ocean diving being their intro to real open water diving!
They did train in Lake George, in NY, in the Spring, so at least they got a taste of just how miserable diving can be.
I'd been certified for @25 years, before I discovered that there was such a thing as warm water diving!
The struggle was real! :D

Ethan will start off with a BC, a depth gauge, a PDC, an actual SPG, and a safety second. Oh yeah, and a mentor right off the bat! :D :D :D I had none of those in the summer of 1969.

The struggle was real! :D

Ethan will start off with a BC, a depth gauge, a PDC, an actual SPG, and a safety second. Oh yeah, and a mentor right off the bat! :D :D :D I had none of those in the summer of 1969.
How did we ever survive without a BCD, an alternate, safe 2nd regulator, and an SPG?
:wink:
At least I had my massive, US Diver (Sea Hunt style) leg knife!

How did we ever survive without a BCD,
Somehow my BCD snorkel was broken off in Fiji. I simply removed my bladder and dove without it. They weren't happy with it, but I did fine. I even had a few comments of how my neutral buoyancy was better than most who had bladders. :D I guess it's like driving a stick. When that was your first car, you never forget how to do it. Unfortunately, I broke my leg that very next night and didn't get to dive any more on that trip. :( For those who think I am clumsy; I broke my leg standing up. I didn't stumble and fall!!! I don't know anyone else who has accomplished that feat.

Somehow my BCD snorkel was broken off in Fiji. I simply removed my bladder and dove without it. They weren't happy with it, but I did fine. I even had a few comments of how my neutral buoyancy was better than most who had bladders. :D I guess it's like driving a stick. When that was your first car, you never forget how to do it. Unfortunately, I broke my leg that very next night and didn't get to dive any more on that trip. :( For those who think I am clumsy; I broke my leg standing up. I didn't stumble and fall!!! I don't know anyone else who has accomplished that feat.
Friends of mine in the Vintage Dive forums, those involved with the Kraken Argonaut enjoy diving as a group on Bonaire, with the old style, tank, hardpack, DH regulator, and no BCD. Correct weighting is required, and not needing thermal protection helps with weighting.
When i learned, and dived in New England waters, weighting was a little more complicated, with the old, thick neopreme we had in 1970, but we managed. We tended to start a touch light on the surface, as the neoprene crushed at depth, but that was what was needed, before buoyancy control changed the game.
My first encounter with a BCD was somewhat traumatic, and I was injured on a badly executed ascent, which led to my first "retraining", to adapt to entirely new gear coming into the sport.
I broke my left leg just standing at the rinse tank after my very last dive of the SB Coz Invasion, what, @ 2 years ago now?
I was rinsing my gear, and talking, and as i turned to the right, my left tibia snapped, and i dropped instantly. Apparently a hole drilled for the ankle fusion 2 months previous, had weakened that bone.
That was also the morning that my first signs of covid's arrival hit me.
The return trip was rough.
I did have a pair of crutches with me on that trip, as a result of my ankle fusion in early April, so I avoided visiting the Mexican medical system.

and not needing thermal protection helps with weighting.
I highly recommend Bioprene, though I have lost 64 pounds since December. The wetsuits back then were a hard rubber that compressed very little. I didn't one then and I don't have any now.
I was rinsing my gear, and talking, and as i turned to the right, my left tibia snapped, and i dropped instantly. Apparently a hole drilled for the ankle fusion 2 months previous, had weakened that bone.
Geez, Louise! That should have a spoiler alert. I stepped into a 3 foot drain for an infiniti pool. The Fijians hadn't thought about a grate, and they forgot to turn on the warning lights after I took the plunge. Standing in the ankle deep water, still standing, I was amazed that my ankle was being attacked be vicious fish. They hurt. I looked down to see my foot at a right angle to me and saw my bones trying to poke through the flesh. I mentioned to one SB that I had just broken my leg and he answered with two observations: I was still standing, and I was too calm. After I climbed out of the drain, he saw my left foot loll over from where the other foot was pointing and started yelling for @Moose. Moose is now a Boo-boo bus driver: an EMT. I guess I inspired him. He still thinks he splinted me well, but the foot moving to and fro said differently. He's got some skills now. Good times.

But don't worry. This won't happen to you guys! You're much more careful than Jim and I. :D :D :D (Pssst: get the best DAN coverage you can!)

I highly recommend Bioprene, though I have lost 64 pounds since December. The wetsuits back then were a hard rubber that compressed very little. I didn't one then and I don't have any now.

Geez, Louise! That should have a spoiler alert. I stepped into a 3 foot drain for an infiniti pool. The Fijians hadn't thought about a grate, and they forgot to turn on the warning lights after I took the plunge. Standing in the ankle deep water, still standing, I was amazed that my ankle was being attacked be vicious fish. They hurt. I looked down to see my foot at a right angle to me and saw my bones trying to poke through the flesh. I mentioned to one SB that I had just broken my leg and he answered with two observations: I was still standing, and I was too calm. After I climbed out of the drain, he saw my left foot loll over from where the other foot was pointing and started yelling for @Moose. Moose is now a Boo-boo bus driver: an EMT. I guess I inspired him. He still thinks he splinted me well, but the foot moving to and fro said differently. He's got some skills now. Good times.

But don't worry. This won't happen to you guys! You're much more careful than Jim and I. :D :D :D (Pssst: get the best DAN coverage you can!)
As far as that last, we divers tend to find the best diving in more remote parts of this planet, where medical care may not always match that which we are used to back here at home.
I definitely want insurance coverage that can, and will get me back to where i can get that sort of care, should it be necessary!
I may not spent $$ on trip insurance, but I do purchase good DAN coverage!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom